Language Translation
  Close Menu

Reporting Illegal Sharing/Selling

Per the United States Drug Enforcement Administration, drug diversion is defined as the use of prescription drugs for recreational purposes. This activity can occur in many venues and it occurs in a variety of ways, by all segments of our population, in all neighborhoods, and in workplaces. Its abuse is often overlooked by the thinking that if a doctor prescribes the drug, and a pharmacist dispenses the medication, it can’t be abused. Acknowledging that the powerful prescription drugs are every bit as addictive, abused, and valuable as illicit drugs, can be difficult to comprehend See

The Drug Enforcement Agency has also ranked Indiana a leading state in armed pharmacy robberies.

Efforts are being taken to help medical professionals identify individuals who are “doctor shopping” (seeing more than one physician to obtain controlled substances) to acquire drugs to abuse and/or sell. You can do your part by ensuring that you do not store unused medications where someone may gain access to “borrow a few pills.” This prevents these drugs from getting into the wrong hands. Learn more at our Medicine Disposal and Safe Storage page.  Legally prescribed medication is not permitted to be shared or transferred to others. Because many of these drugs have harmful side effects and their use can lead to addiction, sharing is misuse. Misuse and abuse come with significant risks — including death.

Please help us fight this problem by reporting criminal activity. This will help minimize the risk factors that place Hoosier lives at stake each day.

How to report drug diversion in Indiana:

  • To report drug diversion call the Indiana State Police Drug Tip Line at 1-800-453-4756
  • To report drug diversion by Medicaid providers click here.
  • To report drug diversion by Medicaid recipients – call the toll-free Hotline at 1-800-403-0864 or send an email to:
  • Drug Diversion can also be reported to the Drug Enforcement Administration at (219) 681-7000 in northern Indiana and (317) 226-7977 in central and southern Indiana.
  • To report fraudulent activity by a licensed prescriber or health provider, please visit the IPLA website here.