The Indiana Byway Program is designed to preserve, protect, enhance and recognize transportation corridors of unique character. These corridors are notable examples of our nation's beauty, history, culture and recreational experience. Some byway routes are designated nationally while others are state designated byways. The national designation is made by the U.S. Secretary of Transporation from nominations presented by the states and federal land management agencies.
Indiana Statewide Map of Designated Byways
INDOT is responsible for submitting Indiana route nominations for federal designation and Indiana's Historic Pathways was first designated a state byway in 2004 and subsequently designated a national byway in 2009. It then joined the Ohio River Scenic Byway and the Historic National Road as nationally designated byways.
A new Order of the Commissioner was signed in 2016.
On June 25, 2018, INDOT Commissioner Joe McGuinness signed an Order designating the Segment of State Road 265 from The Indiana-Kentucky border to State Road 62 as a State Scenic Byway addition to the existing Ohio River Scenic Byway.
- S.R. 265 State Scenic Byway addition to the Ohio River Scenic Byway: Order of the Commissioner
- Application for S.R. 265 as a Scenic Byway
- Scenic Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes (March 2, 2018)
- Meeting Agendas
State designated byways include the River Road Scenic Byway, renamed in February 2016 to the Wabash River Scenic Byway in Tippecanoe County, designated in 2008, the Whitewater Canal Scenic Byway, designated in 2008, the Whitewater Canal Scenic Byway Loop Routes, designated in 2011, the Historic Michigan Road Byway, designated in 2011 and the Lincoln Highway Scenic Byway, designated in 2011 for both the 1913 and 1928 alignments.
- Summary about the Indiana Byway Program
- National Scenic Byways
- Indiana Office of Tourism Development
- Historic Roads
- The 3-State Ohio River Scenic Byway
- Ohio River Scenic Route of Southern Indiana
- The Indiana National Road
- Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources