Certified Technician Program
- Bridge Construction and Deck Repair
- Concrete Paving
- Construction Earthworks
- Construction Procedures 1
- Construction Procedures 2
- Hot Mix Asphalt Paving
- Be a licensed Professional Civil Engineer
- Hold an Associate or Bachelor degree in Engineering or Construction Management from an regionally accredited university.
- Be certified under INDOT's Certified Technician Program
Qualifications & Training
To qualify through the Certified Technician Program, the individual must be certified in the specific subject area (one of the six courses listed above) related to the type of work that comprises 50 percent or more of the total work to be done on the project. For example, certification in Bridge Construction and Deck Repair would be required for bridge projects. Certification is obtained by passing the applicable CTP course exams with a score of 70 or higher. All individuals will be notified by email with the results of their exam.
All training manuals are available at the bottom of this page. The Indiana Standard Specifications manual is also used as supplemental material for the exams. The examinee can use the course manual provided at the time of the exam and INDOT's Standard Specifications book during the exam. If the exam is not passed, the participant may retake the exam at the next regularly scheduled exam (usually four weeks later).
1. MANUALS and NOTES are PROHIBITED.
A. Manuals will be provided at the testing site.
B. You may bring an INDOT Specification Book, Pencil, and Calculator (non-programmable) ONLY.
C. Smart phones and tablets cannot be used as calculators.
2. We require that before entering the testing room, you turn off any electronic device including a phone (OFF, not vibrate).
A. If any of these devices are found to be ‘on,’ you will forfeit the exam.
3. Individuals are responsible for keeping track of their own score record and providing it to any employer upon request. This includes past exams that were used to qualify you as certified. The email containing your exam result(s) that contains a passing score may be printed out and presented as proof you are qualified to do the work required.
4. When all 6 exam areas have been completed and passed a Certified Technician Card will be emailed to you. Please refer to the exert in your Exam Results letter sent to your email for how to request the card.
Individuals that are Certified HMA Field Supervisors will need to be certified in the Hot Mix Asphalt Paving subject area and individuals that are Certified PCCP Field Supervisors will need to be certified in the Concrete Paving subject area.
Certified Technician Program Testing Calendar & Registration
At the bottom of this page is the link to the calendar of exam dates that INDOT sponsors.
State Police Post/INDOT Traffic Management Center
8620 E. 21st. Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
Map to the testing location
Registration & Payment **Effective Immediately**
The cost of the Certified Technician Program is $100 per exam. The fee is NOT transferable but can be reimbursed if the testing request is cancelled in the registration system by 3 p.m. the day before the exam. Cancellations are available for 60 days from date of registration. Late cancellations may result in loss of payment.
Preregistration and payment are required one week prior to the test date and close at 3 pm EST. Preferred payment is by credit card.
If payment cannot be made by credit card, email TalentManagement@indot.in.gov, request an invoice, and provide the participant’s name, email, job title, company name (if applicable), company address (or personal address), telephone and test date, time and exam subject(s). One invoice will be generated per person. The invoice will be sent return email within 5 business days. Payment must be received one week prior to the test date for eligibility to sit for the exam. Reimbursement is available if the invoiced participant cancels via email by 3 p.m. the day before the exam.
2019 Certification Technician Program Testing Dates
Below are the testing dates for the 2019 calendar year. Each link will take you the calender page where you can register for the training session. Please note that morning and afternoon sessions available.
- January 25, 2019; 8:30am - 11:30am
- January 25, 2019; 12:30pm - 3:30pm
- February 22, 2019; 8:30am - 11:30am
- February 22, 2019; 12:30pm - 3:30pm
- March 29, 2019; 8:30am - 11:30am
- March 29, 2019; 12:30pm - 3:30pm
Certified Technician Program Manuals
- Bridge Construction & Deck Repair
- Concrete Paving
- Construction Earthworks Manual
- Construction Procedures Part 1
- Construction Procedures Part 2
- Hot Mix Asphalt Paving
100 N. Senate Ave
IGCN - Room N925
Indianapolis, IN 46204