- Bridge Construction and Deck Repair
- Concrete Paving
- Construction Earthworks
- Construction Procedures 1
- Construction Procedures 2
- Hot Mix Asphalt Paving
Any business performing onsite inspection for INDOT must meet the requirements of their contract with INDOT. Unless otherwise noted in the contract, persons performing onsite inspection for INDOT must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a Professional Engineer
- Hold an Associate or Bachelor degree in Engineering or Construction Management from a regionally accredited university.
- Be certified under the INDOT Certified Technician Program
Qualifications & Training
To qualify through the Certified Technician Program, the individual must be certified in the specific subject area (one of the six courses listed above) related to the type of work that comprises 50 percent or more of the total work to be done on the project. For example, certification in Bridge Construction and Deck Repair would be required for bridge projects. Certification is obtained by passing the applicable CTP course exams with a score of 70 or higher. All individuals will be notified by email with the results of their exam.
All training manuals are available here. A Standard Specifications manual may also be used as supplemental material for the exams, and will be made available upon request at the exam site. A training manual will be provided at the time of the exam to be used during the exam. If the exam is not passed, the participant may retake the exam at the next regularly scheduled exam (usually four weeks later).
1. MANUALS and NOTES are PROHIBITED.
A. Manuals will be provided at the testing site. (Spec Books are available on request.)
B. You may only bring a pencil and non-programmable calculator. (Compliant calculators are available on request.)
C.Smart phones and tablets cannot be used as calculators.
2. We require that before entering the testing room, you turn off any electronic device including a phone (OFF, not vibrate).
A. If any of these devices are found to be ‘on,’ you will forfeit the exam.
3. Individuals are responsible for keeping track of their own score record and providing it to any employer upon request. This includes past exams that were used to qualify you as certified. The email containing your exam result(s) that contains a passing score may be printed out and presented as proof you are qualified to do the work required.
4. When all 6 exams have been completed and passed, a Certified Technician Card can be emailed to you upon request. Please refer to the excerpt in your Exam Results letter sent to your email for how to make that request.
Individuals that are Certified HMA Field Supervisors will need to be certified in the Hot Mix Asphalt Paving subject area and individuals that are Certified PCCP Field Supervisors will need to be certified in the Concrete Paving subject area.
State Police Post/INDOT Traffic Management Center
8620 E. 21st. Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
Map to the testing location
Registration & Payment
The cost of the Certified Technician Program is $100 per exam. The fee is NOT transferable but can be reimbursed if the testing request is cancelled in the registration system by 3 p.m. the day before the exam. Cancellations are available for 60 days from date of registration. Late cancellations may result in loss of payment.
Registration and payment are required by 3pm ET one week prior to the test date, after which registration for that exam is closed.
Preferred payment is by credit card. If payment cannot be made by credit card, email TalentManagement@indot.in.gov, request an invoice, and provide the participant’s name, email, job title, company name (if applicable), company address (or personal address), telephone and test date, time and exam subject(s). One invoice will be generated per person. The invoice will be sent via email within 5 business days. Payment must be received one week prior to the test date to be eligible to sit for the exam. Reimbursement is available if the invoiced participant cancels via email by 3 p.m. the day before the exam.
Certified Technician Program Registration Calendar
Click here to register for a Certified Technician Exam Date
Calendar Registration will be available for enrollment no more than 60 days before the start of Exam Date. Calendar will update on the first of each month to reflect exams currently available for registration. There will be both morning and afternoon sessions available for each exam date.
Certified Technician Program Manuals
Certified Technician Program manuals are available on the page in ERMS. Tests will be conducted off of the November revisions made available therein. Non-final versions will be the most up-to-date, but updates will not be included on the exam until the final November revision of that year. Any manual not marked as a November revision is non-final.
INDOT Construction Management
100 N. Senate Ave
IGCN - Room N925
Indianapolis, IN 46204