Charging the Crossroads is INDOT’s plan to invest nearly $100 million to build an electric vehicle (EV) charging network at strategic locations along Indiana’s interstates and highways.
Funded through the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program, Indiana’s effort feeds into a national initiative to create a network of at least 500,000 reliable chargers across the U.S. to support the growing adoption of electric vehicles.
Visit the Charging the Crossroads website to learn more.
The INDOT EV Partner Directory is intended to connect individuals or organizations that are seeking partners or are open to partnering on an electric vehicle infrastructure project. View the EV Partner Directory here.
- Public Meetings & Presentations
- Upcoming Public Meetings
- Archived Materials
- Deployment Plan and Maps
- Notice of Funding Opportunity
Materials from the pre-bid meeting on September 12th are now available! Materials include:
Date: June 20, 2023
NEVI Stakeholders Meeting
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2023
- IDEM's EV Infrastructure Program through Volkswagen
- IN NEVI Joint Office Presentation
- Indiana's EV Overview
- Preparing for the RFP
- INDOT Prequalification for NEVI
- Utilities Engagement & Coordination
Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Meeting dates, times, and locations (all times local)
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Department of Transportation will host public information meetings to provide updates and gather feedback regarding an annual update to the state's Electric Vehicle (EV) Infrastructure Deployment Plan. The plan is federally required as part of Indiana's participation in the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program and must be updated each year.
The upcoming public meetings will offer updates on program implementation and opportunities for feedback on components of the draft plan, such as potential charging station locations, amenities, and recommended equity and inclusion metrics.
|Check back soon for upcoming public meetings.
View public comments regarding electric vehicle charging infrastructure here.
In 2022, INDOT hosted three in-person sessions to allow stakeholders across Indiana to provide feedback on the state's Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Deployment Plan.
During the in-person stakeholder meetings, the program team summarized the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program requirements, guided stakeholders through the elements of the plan, and had opportunities for attendees to ask questions and provide feedback.
The planning team discussed the overall outline for the plan and approach to its development, along with plan vision and goals. The team also presented the state’s alternative fuel corridors (AFCs) and assessment of current and planned EV charging infrastructure along these corridors with respect to the specific NEVI requirements before proceeding into an open Q&A.
Please note: INDOT will not be discussing specific information regarding procurement and implementation processes or timeframes.
Virtual Open House Meeting
Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2022
Northern Indiana Meeting
Date: Thursday, June 2, 2022
Central Indiana Meeting
Date: Thursday, June 9, 2022
Southern Indiana Meeting
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2022
Virtual Public Meeting
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2022
The State EV Infrastructure Plan draft was submitted to FHWA on August 1, 2023.
NEVI is a Justice40 program – what exactly is Justice40?
- Justice40 is a Federal effort to deliver at least 40% of the overall benefits from Federal investments in climate and clean energy to Disadvantaged Communities (DACs).
- Executive Order 14008 and the Federal NEVI guidance use publicly available data sets to identify DACs – in general these are areas characterized by lack of access to health or transportation, are economically or equitably disadvantaged, carry a negative energy burden, or are adversely impacted by environmental and climate hazards.
- All Justice40 covered programs are required to engage in stakeholder consultation and ensure that community stakeholders are meaningfully involved in determining program benefits.
What types of benefits are included?
INDOT NEVI Equity Benefits
- Percent of AFC miles that are within 50 miles of a charging station (and AFC miles in a DAC community).
- Percent of Indiana’s population (and DAC community population) that is within 5 miles of a charging station.
- The goal is 80% by the end of the NEVI program
- Percent of Indiana’s population (and DAC community population) that is within 15 miles of a charging station.
- The goal is 100% by the end of the NEVI program
- Percent of time at least one port is available at all sites (total and in and near a DAC)
- The goal is 97% for ALL ports.
Benefit: EV Awareness and Adoption
- Attendance by demographic at program events
INDOT NEVI Benchmarks – these are things we will measure and report progress on:
- EV Education and Awareness
- For example, target audience vs. attendance at events, Feedback on events
- Clean Energy Job Creation and Training Opportunities:
- For example, number and participation by demographic of apprenticeship and pre-apprenticeship opportunities; number of STEM programs with EV education
- Contracting with XBE:
- For example, participation in NEVI XBE networking events and percent participation in NEVI contracts
Bipartisan Infrastructure Law
National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Program – DriveElectric.gov
February 10, 2022 NEVI Guidance
Alternative Fuel Corridors – Federal Highway Administration
Analysis of Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Usage in Proximity to Charging Infrastructure in Indiana
Public Engagement Plan
RFI Response Summary
Strategic Assessment of Needs and Opportunities for the Wider Adoption of Electric Vehicles in Indiana
Read more about the Discretionary Grant Program
Read more about the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL)
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announces the release of the first notice of funding opportunity (NOFO) for candidate electric vehicle fast charging sites along Indiana’s Alternative Fuel Corridors (AFCs). Please note:
- Applicants who intend to submit as a prime must request access to the private procurement portal by emailing their company name, contact name, contact telephone, and contact email address to email@example.com by November 1, 2023. No access will be granted after this date. If you have already requested access, login information will be emailed to you this week.
NOFO Amendment Summary & Question Responses
Following the public question period, INDOT has made amendments to the NEVI program’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) and applicable appendices. You can view a summary of those changes and questions received below:
INDOT EV Partner Directory
The INDOT EV Partner Directory is intended to connect individuals or organizations that are seeking partners or are open to partnering on an electric vehicle infrastructure project.
View the INDOT EV Partner Directory here.
To be added to the directory fill out the form at this link.
If you would like your information to be removed from the public EV Partner Directory, please email the INDOT team here.
The NOFO and associated appendices are below to view and download:
- Appendix A - Site List and Map
- Appendix B - Discretionary Exceptions Request Template
- Appendix C - NEVI Requirements
- Appendix D - Template
- Appendix D - Template (Word)
- Appendix E - Application Checklist
- Appendix F - Scoring Rubric
- Appendix G - Utility Contact Information and Questionnaire
- Appendix H - Draft Contract Terms and Conditions
- Draft RFP Comments and Responses
- NOFO Amendment Summary 1 - 9/26/23
- NOFO Amendment Summary 2 – 10/4/23
- NOFO Questions and Responses
To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, click here.