Office of the Staff Judge Advocate
“Soldier First, Lawyer Always”
The Indiana National Guard Office of the Staff Judge Advocate (OSJA) serves as the legal adviser to the command, advising on a wide range of issues. OSJA also provides trial defense and free legal assistance services to Indiana Guardsmen. OSJA is also commonly known as JAG (Judge Advocate General). Officers serving in the JAG Corps are often referred to as JAGs. Indiana’s OSJA offices are located at the Stout Field headquarters building in Indianapolis.
Mission: Provide timely and quality legal support to the adjutant general and his staff as well as subordinate commands, and the soldiers of the Military Department of Indiana, their dependents, and all others eligible for legal support.
About this Website: Nothing contained in this website is a substitute for the competent legal advice of a licensed attorney. This website is intended to provide general information about our services, and does not produce legal documents. All information contained within this website is for informational purposes. Seek legal advice before relying on information contained in this website.
Legal assistance and trial defense services are available to members of the Indiana National Guard and to their dependents, retired military personnel and their dependents, and survivors of members of the Armed Forces who would be eligible if the service member was alive.
OSJA provides a wide range of legal assistance services, without charge and by appointment only. Appointments must be scheduled in advance; we do not provide services on a walk-in basis. Please note that we are NOT authorized to appear with you as your attorney of record on legal assistance matters in any court.
|Our legal assistance services include:
OSJA provides specified defense counsel services whenever required by law or regulation and when authorized by our higher headquarters.
|Our trial defense services include:
Army National Guard
Contact us at 317-247-3449. Our resources are limited. We contact our clients on a first-come, first-served basis and reply to inquiries and requests for assistance as quickly as possible.
Air National Guard
Airmen seeking legal defense services should contact the appropriate legal office to provide them assistance. Members assigned to the 122nd Fighter Wing should contact the legal office in Fort Wayne at 260-478-3317. Members assigned to the 181st Intelligence Wing should contact the legal office in Terre Haute at 812- 877-5385.
- Sample Letters
- Request reduction of interest rate during deployment.pdf
- Stay of Proceedings Pursuant to Service Members Civil Relief Act.pdf
- Advance Notice to Employer of Military Duty.pdf
- Termination of Motor Vehicle Lease Pursuant to Service Members Civil Relief Act.pdf
- Termination of Premises Lease Pursuant to Service Members Civil Relief Act.pdf
- Legal Briefing Sheets
- Article 15 fact sheet.pdf
- Benefits at separation.pdf
- Disposition of AWOL Soldier's Property
- Divorce in Indiana.pdf
- Drug/alcohol abuse rehabilitation failure.pdf
- Failure to meet Army body composition standards.pdf
- Financial Liability Investigations of Property Loss - Common Errors
- Financial Liability Investigations of Property Loss - General
- Incomplete Financial Liability Investigation of Property Loss
- Involuntary allotments and garnishments.pdf
- Planning for the future.pdf
- Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces
- Powers of Attorney.pdf
- Separation for misconduct.pdf
- Support of dependents.pdf
- Unsatisfactory participation.pdf