- Payment Issues
Please, direct payment issues to the Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits Assistance Service at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).
- GI Benefits
Learn more and how to apply va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits.
- Transfer of Post-9/11 Benefits
In-service members can initiate or make changes to transferred benefits at milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect.
- Retirees & Veterans
- Service Members with the Indiana National Guard
Montgomery GI Bill
- Six-year contract on/after July 1, 1985
- Complete any Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT) or Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Starts on the date of basic eligibility, usually after completion of basic training and advanced individual training (AIT), which is annotated on the soldier’s Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- Soldiers with a date of basic eligibility prior to October 1,1992 had 10 years to use their MGIB-SR benefit
- All other soldiers with a date of basic eligibility after October 1, 1992, eligibility ends date of expiration term of service (ETS)
Active Duty GI Bill
- Entered active duty or AGR on or after July 1, 1985
- Two years or longer active duty or AGR obligation
- Served obligated period in an “Honorable” status
- Based upon your first active-duty tour
- Contributed the full $1,200
- Available up to 10 years after last honorable discharge; extended if mobilized
- Must be on Active Duty to make contribution
- Maximum contribution of $600
- Every $20 contribution increases monthly payment by $5
- Full $600 contribution increases monthly payment by $150 for full-time student
- Soldiers on Active Duty will NOT receive the additional payment
Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Served at least 90 aggregate days on Qualifying active duty orders (Title 10 or Title 32 AGR except ADOS) after September 10, 2001, and are still on active duty or
- Were honorably discharged from active duty.
- Released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
- Released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the armed forces
- May also be eligible if honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served at least 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.