The Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. Tuition Assistance (TA) is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and is part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. These courses must be offered by schools that are registered in ArmyIgnitED, are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and are signatories to the current Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU).
- FTA pays up to $250 per semester hour or $4,000 per fiscal year
- FTA is based on the availability of funds and cannot be guaranteed to all soldiers
- Soldiers may use FTA to receive ONE degree/credentials from each of the following levels:
-Certificate (technical and licensure)
-Bachelor’s degree (130 semester hours maximum)
-Master’s degree (39 semester hours maximum)
Note: One undergraduate certificate program hour used will be against maximum months
ArmyIgnitED is your virtual gateway to education…anytime, anywhere. This one-stop website allows soldiers, Army education counselors and schools to conduct business for all education needs in an environment tailored for Army active duty and reserve. The site provides links that enable soldiers to register for college courses or on-duty classes and review their student records 24X7. The direct link to schools allows the Army to pay the schools upfront, lifting that burden from soldiers and ensuring schools are paid in a timely and efficient manner.
Eligibility & Restrictions
- Deadline to apply is 7 days prior to the first day of class.
- Must be a satisfactory drilling participant in the Indiana National Guard with no flags
- Officers have a Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO)
- Have a four-year RSO from the last day of FTA-funded courses
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA for undergraduate and 3.0 GPA for graduate FTA-funded classes
- May only receive FTA for up to 16 credit hours per fiscal year.