Application for an Advance from the Indiana Common School Fund – Improvements in School Safety
- If your school was previously approved for a matching grant from the Indiana Secured School Fund (established at Ind. Code 10-21-1-2) and you would like to apply for an advance from the Indiana Common School Fund, please apply below.
- Pursuant to HEA 1230 and Ind. Code 20-49-10-5(a), advances may be used to purchase equipment or make capital improvements needed to:
- restrict access to schools;
- expedite the notification of first responders; or
- improve school security.
- The maximum amount of an advance that a school corporation or charter school may receive under this chapter is the lesser of:
- five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000); or
- the amount needed to cover costs approved by the Secured School Safety Board that are in excess of the amount awarded by the Secured School Safety Board under Ind. Code 10-21-1-4 and the amount committed as a match by the school corporation or charter school (or coalition of public schools filing jointly) that applied for the grant under Ind. Code 10-21-1-5.
- Private schools are not eligible to request an advance from the Common School Fund.
- Applicants must submit the following:
- Detailed explanation of the project;
- Amount previously approved by the Secured School Safety Board for a matching grant;
- Project budget;
- Amount requested as an advance from the Common School Fund.
- Requests for an advance will be reviewed by the Secured School Safety Board within thirty (30) days after receipt and sent to the State Board of Education with a funding recommendation.
- Final funding determinations will be made by the State Board of Education.