Language Translation
  Close Menu


What We Do

The Floyd County Surveyor maintains Section corner records and maintains the Legal Survey Record Book. Also, a searchable file of recorded surveys is maintained, and copies of recorded subdivision plats are kept on file. The County Surveyor also has copies of Flood Maps for review by the public.

The County Surveyor serves as an ex-officio member of the County Drainage Board and the County Plan Commission.

Duties of a County Surveyor in the State of Indiana follow Indiana Code - County Surveyor (Indiana Code 36-2-12 Chapter 12)

Section Corner Perpetuation

The Floyd County Surveyor is tasked with finding section corner stones/monuments/pins, referencing them by measurements to nearby structures, and marking the location of the section corner at the surface. The County Surveyor must maintain a corner record book showing original government section corners, and is required to establish, locate, and reference at least 5% of the corners each year.

Indiana Code 36-2-12-11 mandates that section corners must be preserved and perpetuated by county surveyors to ensure landowners' rights and the integrity of property boundaries.

Online Geographic Information System (GIS) Mapping Service

The Surveyor’s office utilizes Elevate, a web-based Geographic Information System (GIS), to research parcels located within Floyd County.

For any questions, information, and polices regarding Elevate GIS mapping services please visit the Floyd County GIS Office webpage.


As a County office, the Surveyor’s Department strives for equitable access to public information related to surveying. See the hyperlinks below to pdf pages of our most asked documents.

All forms must be submitted to or in person at the Floyd County Surveyor Office. All forms submitted must include the following contact information: Full Name, Phone Number, and E-mail address. Please be advised that Intake forms and County Verifications forms may take 2-3 business days for processing.

If you need additional information or have any questions please don't hesitate to give our office a call during business hours at (812) 948-5490.

Floyd County Junior Land Surveyor Program

Welcome to the Floyd County Junior Land Surveyor Program! A fun and exciting way for preschool and early education children to learn about land surveying. Learn cool skills like creating your own map and new geography/survey sight words. Join the program today and become an honorary Junior Land Surveyor!

Floyd County Junior Land Surveyor Program Packet
Program Packet Includes:

  • Fillable Jr. Surveyor Activity Map
  • Book List
  • Two Land Surveying related worksheets

ex. of Junior Surveyor Badge
Floyd Co. Junior Surveyor Honorary Badge

Complete and Submit the Jr. Surveyor Activity Map via e-mail, or in person at our office location.

When submitting Activity Maps via e-mail please include: Parent/Guardian Name, Phone Number, and E-mail address so that we may notify you that your map has been received. Honorary Jr. Surveyor badges are only available for pickup at the Floyd Co. Surveyor office.

Surveyor Office Related Links

Floyd County Government
City of New Albany 
State of Indiana Government Website 
Indiana Society of Professional Land Surveyors (ISPLS)
Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
FEMA, Flood Map Service Center: Search By Address

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Does the office have a copy of my property survey?

    We may have a copy. The Surveyors office receives generous donations of survey documents from local land surveyors, private land owners, and other Indiana Registered Professional Land Surveyors. The only surveys we host in our archive were donated to us voluntarily.

    Please note, Indiana requires the recordation of boundary surveys in specific circumstances as in a) the creation of a new tax parcel; b) a previously unrecorded survey; or c) when the recent survey differs significantly from the description of the recorded deed.

    The office will refer inquiries to the Floyd County Recorders office to review property deed records if we do not have a specific address/location on file.

  • Does the Floyd County Surveyor conduct private surveys for county residents?

    No, the County Surveyor does not conduct private surveys. Residents need to consult a private surveying business or firm to conduct a land survey for properties in Floyd County.

  • Can the office recommend a private surveyor firm/business?

    No, Floyd County staff cannot recommend private services to the public. This policy aims to uphold transparency and safeguard public trust in the government's integrity. Residents of Floyd County will need to contact a private Indiana Registered Professional Land Surveyor listed in the Floyd County Surveyors webpage or

  • How much does it cost to survey property?

    It depends. Factors such as deed quality, terrain, available survey evidence & season all affect price.

  • What are Section Corners?

    Indiana Section Corners are reference points that were set by the United States Government General Land Office from 1819 to 1821. Part of the Public Land Survey System, these corners mark mapped sections in a grid to divide property parcels for orderly land perpetuation and ownership. Surveyors use durable materials like stone monuments or posts/pins/nails made of iron to establish these corners in order to prevent land disputes and facilitate the sale of public lands. Additionally, Floyd County holds Illinois/Clark Grants Sections, land distributed to Revolutionary War veterans, which requires their own surveyed corners for proper land distribution.

  • My neighbor recently had a survey of their property. There seems to be an overlap onto my property, what can I do?

    First, please consult the Surveyor who performed the work. If questions still remain, we can help advise on next steps.

  • Why does department staff work on or near roads?

    The County Surveyor does not hold a surveying crew on staff. The Floyd County Surveyor contracts work to Indiana Registered Professional Land Surveyors periodically as required to maintain records indicating the location of each original government monument within the county. Many of these monuments are found in our County roads. (IC 36-2-12 sections 10 and 11).

  • Where can I get a County Map?

    Printed maps are available through the County Surveyor Office by request only. Please see office Fee Schedule below. Maps can also be viewed using the GIS-Mapping service Elevate Maps via the Floyd County GIS department page online.

  • Does the office have survey records available online?

    No, at this time our survey archives are not available online. If you require assistance or information, please refer to the listed contact information for the Floyd County Surveyor Office.

Floyd County Surveyor Office Printing Fee Schedule

Effective June 2022

Plats Maps - Surveys - GIS/Mapping - Flood Maps - Document Copies

Letter(Color Copies $0.25)8.5"x11"$0.10
Legal(Color Copies $0.25)8.5"x14"$0.10
Tabloid/Ledger 11"x17"$0.50
Arch C 18"x24"$11.00
Arch D 24"x36"$15.00
*Fees are priced per Indiana Code, IC 5-14-3-8 Fees: Sec. 8.d.2

John G. Brinkworth, III.


Rachel Dooley

Chief Deputy

Contact Information

Floyd County Surveyor
311 Hauss Square, Room 122
New Albany, IN 47150
: (812) 948-5490
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm