Close Menu

Early Retiree Insurance Program FAQs

What coverage is available?
Medical, dental and vision coverage are available under this program. If eligible, you are offered the plans and coverage level that you have in place upon retirement.

What’s the difference between Early Retiree insurance and my insurance as an active employee?

Early retirees pay 100% of the combined employer’s and employee’s premium for their insurance. The coverage is exactly the same as what you had while you were employed with the state.

How do I sign up?

The State Personnel Benefits Division determines eligibility. If eligible, you will receive an informational packet in the mail the week following your last paycheck. The packet contains an application. You will send the application back to the Benefits Division and we will forward that information to the insurance carriers. The carriers will then begin your monthly billing. You will likely receive a COBRA packet before your early retiree packet. If you intend to sign up for early retiree insurance, you will not need to submit COBRA paperwork. Note: life insurance is not available under this program. Life insurance conversion information is included in your COBRA packet.

How long can I continue coverage?

Coverage is available until you become Medicare eligible. Note: coverage is only available upon retirement. If you choose not to elect coverage at that time, you will not be eligible at a later date.

When can I change my plan or coverage level?

You may reduce coverage level at the time of application. After that, you may change plans and coverage level during Open Enrollment. You may also change coverage level if you experience a qualifying event.

What happens during Open Enrollment?

Each year, prior to Open Enrollment, you will receive a communication to inform you of the plans being offered for the new plan year. Because Open Enrollment changes are submitted to the carriers, we also include plan rates and carrier contact information. It is important that the carriers have current contact information for billing and communications. Note: you will have to sign the Non-Tobacco Use Agreement each year in order to receive the reduction in your premium for the next plan year. If you do not wish to sign the Non-Tobacco Use Agreement or make any changes to your current plans, you do not need to submit Open Enrollment elections to the carriers.

What if I move within Indiana or to another state?

If you move, you will need to update your address and phone number with the carriers so that they have updated information for billing and communications. You will need to contact the carriers directly as they maintain enrollment once you leave state employment.

Will there be a lapse in my coverage?

No. Your early retiree coverage will begin the day your coverage as an active employee ends.

What about my HSA?

While the state does not contribute to HSAs for early retirees, the money in your HSA is yours to keep for eligible expenses. You may continue to contribute to an HSA post-tax if you continue a CDHP.

Can my spouse continue coverage beyond Early Retiree insurance?

When your eligibility for Early Retiree insurance ends your eligible dependents will be offered COBRA to continue coverage for 18 months.