Possible Risk factors
- Does your child live in or regularly visit any residence or child care center built before 1978?
- Does your child have a sibling or playmate who has had lead poisoning?
- Does your child frequently come in contact with an adult who works in an industry or has a hobby using lead (battery factory, steel smelter, or stained glass)?
- Is your child a recent immigrant or a member of a minority group?
- Does anyone in your family use ethnic or folk remedies or cosmetics?
If the answer is yes to any of the above, a blood lead test is necessary. Remember, lead poisoning is a preventable disease.
In the event of an elevated lead level, case management is initiated, and follow-up is done by the nurse/case manager.
Tests are done at the Valparaiso and Portage offices Monday through Friday during office hours:
- For the Valparaiso office call 219-465-3525
- For the Portage office call 219-759-8239
M. L. Stamp, M.D. - Porter County Health Officer
Sheila Paul - Administrator
155 Indiana Avenue, Suite 104
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Phone: (219) 465-3525
Fax: (219) 465-3531
3590 Willowcreek Rd, Suite C
Portage, IN 46368
Phone: (219) 759-8239
Fax: (219) 759-3901
Hours: Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
No Vital Records Service is available at the Portage office between 12 pm and 1 pm.