What are my employment rights as a person with a disability?
- Freedom from being denied employment or experiencing discrimination in your work due to your disability
- Reasonable accommodations to perform your job
Can the Employment Team help me?
If you are a person with a disability who is employed or wants to work, IDR may be able to help you. The Employment Team can address cases involving the issues below:
- Problems with VR, including but not limited to:
- Ineligibility to participate in the VR program
- Placement on VR's Order of Selection waitlist
- Inappropriate Trial Work Experience
- Denial of services or supports needed to achieve your employment goal
- Reduction or stoppage of services or supports needed to achieve your employment goal
- Case closure before you achieved your employment goal
- Denial of necessary post-employment services
- Denial of reasonable accommodations by your employer or an employer from whom you are seeking employment
- Denial of employment benefits or advancement by your employer on the basis of your disability
- Refusal to hire you because you are a person with a disability
- Discipline at or termination from your job due to reasons directly related to your disability
- Inappropriate or insufficient supports and services from an employment network if you are a person who receives SSI or SSDI
- Confusion about work incentives available to you if you are a person who receives SSI or SSDI
- Problems with Centers for Independent Living (CILs), including but not limited to:
- Ineligibility to receive services from the CIL
- Denial of services or supports needed to help you obtain employment
- Case closure before you have achieved your employment goal
What issues are a priority for IDR?
IDR prioritizes certain issues for case consideration based on feedback from the disability community. If you are interested in commenting on or viewing our priorities and objectives, click here. Currently, the Employment Team actively participates in workgroups and educates policymakers about:
- Rights of individuals working in sheltered workshops
- Competitive integrated employment
I need IDR’s help. What do I do?
You can fill out our Help Form or call our Intake Team at 1-800-622-4845.
I don’t think I need IDR’s help yet. Are there any resources available that can help me self-advocate?
Yes, please view the resources below or visit IDR’s Resources webpage.