The Big Raccoon-Wabash River Watershed covers approximately 74 square miles in western Indiana and is in Parke County. The four subwatersheds included in the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) report are Cat Creek-Leatherwood Creek, Rocky Run-Leatherwood Creek, Rock Run-Big Raccoon Creek, and Town of Mecca-Big Raccoon Creek. The Hydrologic Unit Code (HUC) for the Big Raccoon-Wabash River Watershed is 0512010815.
Past surveys of the Big Raccoon-Wabash River Watershed were conducted in 1999, 2000, 2016, and 2021 which may have included monitoring for fish communities, fish tissue, macroinvertebrate communities, E. coli, and/or water chemistry through several IDEM monitoring programs. Impairments currently identified in the watershed include E. coli, PCBs in fish tissue, and impaired biotic communities (IBC). Potential pollution sources contributing to these impairments include nonpoint sources from agricultural lands and pastures, rural run-off, wildlife, as well as point sources from straight pipe discharges and home sewage treatment systems.
Parameters To Be Addressed
IDEM will complete a comprehensive sampling program in the watershed that will be based on the current impairments. A total of 18 sites will be assessed for general chemistry, nutrients, habitat, and fish and macroinvertebrate communities. A comprehensive list of all parameters will be referenced in the approved work plan.
- A public kickoff meeting was held to introduce the project and solicit input at the Parke County Public Library on October 12, 2022.
- A draft TMDL public meeting is expected to be held in 2025 upon completion of the draft TMDL report.
- Additional meetings will be held as needed. Please check the IDEM calendar for updates.
The TMDL Report
The TMDL Report is anticipated to be completed in 2025.
Watershed Characterization Monitoring 2022-2023
- Sampling and Analysis Work Plan for the Monitoring Project [PDF]
- Map of IDEM Monitoring Sites [PDF]
- Photos of IDEM Monitoring Sites [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (Nov. 2022 - Jan. 2023) [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (Feb. 2023 - April 2023) [PDF]
- IDEM Surface Water Results Summary (May 2023 - July 2023) [PDF]