Tobacco Free Recovery
In June 2019, the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) and the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA), invited leaders and advocates in public health, behavioral healthcare, government agencies, Medicaid managed care entities and tobacco control to host the Indiana Leadership Academy for Wellness and Tobacco-Free Recovery Summit to address the high prevalence of smoking among adults in Indiana with mental illness or substance use disorder (behavioral health conditions).
The below areas were identified as practical strategies to achieve the summit goals:
Policy & Advocacy
Please complete the below tracking tool when utilizing resources from the Indiana Leadership Academy for Wellness and Tobacco-Free Recovery. These resources were developed to help leaders and advocates in public health, behavioral healthcare, government agencies, Medicaid managed care entities, and tobacco control to address the high prevalence of smoking among adults in Indiana with behavioral health conditions.
- Overview of TF-Recovery Summit (one-page)
- Recommendations for a Tobacco-Free Facility
- "Making the Case for Tobacco Treatment for Behavioral Health Clients" PowerPoint Presentation
Tobacco Treatment Integration Case Studies
The below case studies are intended to capture insights from Indiana behavioral health organizations on how they have implemented tobacco treatment initiatives and supportive policies. You can download the template here.
Below are the names of the various organizations that are committed to this partnership to reduce tobacco-related disparities among Hoosiers with behavioral health conditions.
- American Cancer Society
- American Lung Association
- Aspire Indiana Health
- Behavioral Health Services Community Health Network
- Cancer Support Community Central Indiana
- Indiana University Health Methodist
- Indiana Cancer Consortium
- Indiana Criminal Justice Institute
- Indiana Department of Correction
- Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
- Indiana State Department of Health
- Indiana University Simon Cancer Center
- Managed Health Services
- Mental Health America of Indiana
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Indiana
- National Council for Behavioral Health/CDC’s
- National Behavioral Health Network (NBHN)
- Pfizer Inc.
- Purdue University
- Rethink Tobacco Indiana
- Richard M. Fairbanks Foundation
- Smoking Cessation Leadership Center/Center of
- Excellence for Tobacco-Free Recovery
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
- Administration (SAMHSA)
- The OCL Group
- Get Involved