Language Translation
  Close Menu

Manufactured Housing Complaints

Red manufactured home

Making a Complaint

Red manufactured home All residential manufactured homes must comply with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards. Since June 15, 1976, manufacturers have confirmed compliance with the Standards by attaching a red label to the back of each transportable section of a home produced.

The extent to which the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) can help a homeowner resolve a complaint depends on the seriousness of the problem. In cases where safety-related defects in homes create an unreasonable risk of injury or death to the occupants, manufacturers must correct the defect in a short period. HUD cannot require correction unless the defects were introduced into the home during the manufacturing process. The on-site installation of a manufactured home is not regulated by HUD.

If a problem arises with a manufactured home, the first contact should be the retailer. Most problems can be eliminated quickly. If the retailer cannot help, the second contact should be the manufacturer. Manufacturers, for the most part, are quick to respond to consumers.

It is important to put a complaint in writing. Also, make a copy to keep with your records. The letter should include the serial number of the home with a list of the problems. List any known factors that contributed to the problem. Also list any secondary issues related to the problem.

If that fails, you can file a formal complaint. Include a description of the problem, along with copies of any correspondence or contacts with the retailer and the manufacturer to resolve the problem. Also include:

  • Your name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day
  • Manufacturer name
  • Serial number and model number of your home
  • Label number (the red tag on the back of the home)
  • Date purchased
  • Name of the business that sold you the home

Note: The state of Indiana no longer participates in the State Administrative Agency program maintained by HUD.

For assistance with consumer complaints on manufactured housing units, please contact HUD directly:

Manufactured Housing and Standards Division
Office of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th St. SW, Room 9152
Washington, D.C. 20410-8000

If you have questions, call 1-800-927-2891. Consumer complaints may also be submitted to the Manufactured Housing and Standards Division's email address:

More about manufactured housing complaints