Language Translation
  Close Menu

Superior Court 1

Floyd Superior Court No. 1 Judge Carrie K. Stiller

  • Admitted to practice law by the Indiana Supreme Court in 1999
  • Graduated from the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville in 1999, cum laude
  • Graduated from Indiana University Southeast with her Bachelors's in Political Science in 1996, summa cum laude
  • Graduated from Floyd Central High School in 1990
  • She practiced law and operated her own practice in Floyd County, Indiana for twenty years prior to beginning her public service.
  • She is a Certified Mediator in Family Law.
  • Floyd County Bar Association current member and former President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer
  • Past Pro Bono Commission, District 14, Board Member and Chair
  • Past Member Sherman Minton Inns of Court

Floyd Superior Court No. 1 serves the public by providing a fair, accessible, effective, and responsive forum to decide civil, criminal, and other legal matters with the objective of resolving conflicts efficiently while maintaining confidence in the judiciary and enhancing community values.

The Superior Court is a Court of General Jurisdiction including Felony Criminal cases, Civil Cases, Divorces, and Criminal non-Support. Approximately two-thirds of the cases heard in Superior Court are felony criminal matters, and approximately one-third are civil matters.

Superior Court does not hear cases involving probate, trust matters, juvenile cases, or small claims.

The Floyd County Superior Court was established in 1978, Under Indiana Code 33-33-22-2. Since the Court’s creation in 1978, three Judges have presided over Floyd Superior Court;

  • Presiding Carrie K. Stiller 01/01/21 – present
  • Honorable Susan L. Orth 6/1/04 - 12/31/20
  • Honorable Richard G. Striegel 1/1/79 – 5/31/04
  • Honorable Harold Coons 1/1/78 – 12/31/78

Local Language Access Plan.pdf

  • Courtroom Attire is business casual.
  • Children cannot accompany parents in the courtroom unless they are being interviewed by the court in a particular case. There are no facilities to care for children. Other appropriate arrangements must be made.
  • Cell Phones and Recording Devices must be turned off at all times while in the courtroom. No photo or recording devices of any kind are permitted.
  • Parking is available in areas surrounding the courthouse.
  • Security prohibits weapons of any kind in the courtroom and in the building.

Online Payments

PayGov.US provides online payment and reporting services to Floyd County Government. To make an online payment for court costs please click the link below.

Should you need information for the required fields you may call the Floyd County Clerk's Office at 812-948-5411, Mon - Fri., 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, or click here to perform an online court case search.

DISCLAIMER: Payments will not be processed until funds are received by the county.

Make an online payment for court costs

Clerk's Office

Court costs may be paid in the Floyd County Clerk's Office during regular office hours (Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm). The Floyd County Clerk's Office is located on the 2nd floor of the City/County Building.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I talk to the Judge about a case?

    No. The Judge must remain independent, impartial and unbiased to both sides to a dispute throughout all phases of the case. The Judge may not speak with one side without the other side being present. Neither he, nor the Court staff, is permitted to give legal advice.

  • How do I get a public defender?

    You must request a public defender at your initial hearing or in writing. A written request may be hand written and should set out financial information that establish an inability to hire an attorney.

  • How long do I have to wait before I can be divorced?

    You must wait at least 60 days from the date the case is filed. Unless the parties file a written agreement, waiver of rights and decree of dissolution, they will need to request a hearing date to be held after 60 days.

  • When will my bond money be returned?

    After a person posts bond in a criminal matter, the bond will be released minus certain Court cost and fees. The remaining bond monies will be released to the person who posted the bond approximately two weeks after a defendant is sentenced or the case is dismissed.

  • Do I have to hire an attorney?

    A. Any person may represent himself or herself in a court without a lawyer. However, this does not make the judge or the court’s staff your lawyer. You must perform just like a lawyer would perform in gathering evidence and other pertinent information. Neither the Judge nor the court's staff can assist you in preparing or presenting your case. The laws and the rules of evidence remain the same whether you are represented by a lawyer or you represent yourself. The self-help website address is:

    If you cannot afford an attorney, you may contact the following places to apply for free legal assistance:

    Legal Services, Inc. 
    3303 Plaza Drive, Suite 5 
    New Albany, IN 47150 
    (812) 945-4123

    Legal Volunteers
    406 Pearl Street 
    New Albany, IN 47150 
    (812) 949-2292

  • How do I get a continuance of a court date if I don't have an attorney?

    You need to request the continuance in writing prior to the court date and provide a copy of that request to the all parties in the case. Clearly explain your reasons for the request. Your current address and a phone number should be provided to the Court. You should then contact the Court to see if the continuance has been granted.

Judge Carrie K Stiller

Judge Carrie K Stiller

Office Staff

Dianna Borden

Court Administrative Professional


Shawna Clemons

Court Administrative Professional


Julia Stewart

Court Administrative Professional


Sherri Carta

Court Administrative Professional


Contact Information

Floyd County Superior Court 1
311 Hauss Square, Room 200
New Albany, IN 47150
Monday-Friday 8 am - 4 pm
Phone: (812) 948-5450
Fax: (812) 941-4582