Language Translation
  Close Menu


What The Floyd County Prosecutor's Office Does:

The Floyd County Prosecutor is charged with the responsibility of representing the State of Indiana in all felony and misdemeanor criminal prosecutions resulting from criminal activity within Floyd County, Indiana. Juvenile violations, all traffic offenses, and other infraction violations of state law within Floyd County are handled by this office.In addition, the Office of the Floyd County Prosecutor is responsible for enforcing certain child support court orders through its Title IV-D Child Support Division.

  • How do I file charges against someone?

    A criminal action cannot begin without an investigation by a law enforcement agency. The Floyd County Prosecutor’s Office will conduct investigations regarding bad checks through our Bad Checks Program. However, most other criminal activity must be referred to a law enforcement agency for an investigation. Our Investigators can direct you towards the appropriate agency.

  • How do I get a restraining order?

    The Floyd County Prosecutor’s Office will request a No-Contact Order for victims of a crime as part of filing new criminal charges. Without the filing of charges, a private citizen may be able to obtain a Protective Order through the Floyd County Superior Court 3 here.

  • I was a victim of a crime. How do I drop charges?

    Once a law enforcement agency is contacted to investigate the commission of a crime, and charges are filed, the Prosecutor retains sole discretion in the disposition of that case. It is the Prosecutor’s duty to represent the interests of the greater community and the laws of the State of Indiana.

    Our office policy is that once a person is charged with a crime, the presumption will be that that individual will be prosecuted. However, the victim has the right to be heard and the Prosecutor will take this position into consideration when deciding the appropriate course of action.

  • Can I get information on the status of a case or find our when when a court date is scheduled?

    You may contact our Victim’s Assistance Coordinator, one of our Investigators, the Court itself, or the Chronological Case Summary web page maintained by the state. Court schedules are created by the Court staff, and are subject to change; the Court possess the most current information on its own calendar.

  • Can I talk to a prosecutor about my case?

    The Prosecutor may not discuss the case with a represented Defendant. If you are a victim and desire to speak to the prosecutor handling your case, please contact our Victim’s Assistance Coordinator to schedule a meeting.

  • Can I get a prosecutor’s explanation of a law or get legal advice from a prosecutor?
  • I have received a subpoena to testify in Court. Why do I have to testify and will I be compensated?

    Witnesses and victims of crimes are required to appear personally in Court to testify in criminal matters. Although it may be inconvenient, our office will do our best to assist you, and/or notify you of any last minute changes in regards to scheduling. Trial witnesses are not usually compensated for lost wages or other incidental expenses involved in testifying, but each case is different, and evaluated on a case by case basis.

  • What is VINE?

    VINE is operated by the Indiana Department of Corrections and stands for Victim Information and Notification Everyday. VINE is a toll-free, 24 hours a day, automated telephone system that permits callers to find out the custody status of an offender housed in a county jail or any Department of Corrections institution, or to find out about upcoming court events related to an offender. Callers can also register for automatic notification (by phone or email) when there is a change in an offender’s custody status or for notification of related court events. VINE helps by relaying an offender’s sentence expiration date, inmate custody status, and location, as well as notification on the transfer, release, escape, or death of an inmate. All telephone calls and registrations are anonymous, confidential, and free. For more information: Call 1-800-770-0192.

  • What is restitution?

    A Court may order a person who is convicted of a crime to pay restitution to the victim, the victim’s family, or the victim’s estate for certain expenses related to the crime. Restitution payments may be ordered for property damage, medical and hospital bills, funeral and burial costs, or other items determined appropriate by the Court. If you are the victim of a crime and you believe you are owed restitution, please submit documentation of expenses related to the crime to the Victim Assistance Coordinator.

Chad Kessinger

Chief Investigator

Chris Keith

Chris Keith


Travis Jones


The administrative staff for the Office of the Floyd County Prosecutor manages the day-to-day workings of the office and ensures that our organization is able to operate efficiently with a high level of quality performance and professionalism. Our administrative staff can assist you with general questions, as well as with our Infraction Deferral Program.