An official website of the Indiana State Government
Beware of Scams
Protect yourself with these tips:
- Always verify the organization before donating money and identify the caller.
- Beware of contractors that randomly contact you for repairs they believe you may or may not need.
- Check references and past work done by the contractor before agreeing to work being done.
- If something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.
- Never provide bank account or credit card numbers over the telephone.
- Never pay for a job in full until the work has been completed.
- Never provide keys to contractors with free access to your property when you're not home. While work is being done, avoid leaving checks, credit cards, or cash lying around the house.
- Never invite door-to-door solicitors into your house.