Close Menu

Surviving Dependents

It is our sincere hope that in the unfortunate event that a State of Indiana Employee or one their dependents should pass away that the following information would provide some assistance during this difficult time.

As a note to all employees, please be sure to keep your beneficiary and contact information updated, keep important documents organized and tell your beneficiaries where to find this information if something should happen to aid in this process.

Grief assistance and/or counseling

The Anthem Employee Assistance Program is available 24 hours, 7 days a week to assist with the grieving process. The EAP website has a wealth of information and articles about everything from making arrangements to helping others cope with loss. You may call and speak with someone as well for referrals to resources in your area. You are also encouraged to seek assistance whether it is through your own insurance coverage, a local government organization or your loved ones.

Anthem Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
website: www.AnthemEAP.com
phone: 800-223-7723

Final compensation/personal effects from employer

If a State of Indiana employee has passed away, surviving dependents should notify the employee’s supervisor or the human resources department at the employee’s agency. These contacts can assist with questions regarding any remaining compensation and personal effects. If you are the State employee and your dependent has passed away you are encouraged to contact the dependent’s employer for this information.

Find an Agency
Use IN.gov's Find an Agency

Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance

Even if you are not sure whether or not the employee had insurance coverage you should contact the Benefits Hotline to ensure life insurance claims are submitted timely, if applicable. In addition, if there were dependents covered on the employee’s medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage they would be offered the opportunity to continue that coverage for up to 18 months under COBRA. COBRA forms would be mailed to those dependents. If you are the State employee and your dependent was covered under dependent life insurance the Benefits Division can assist with processing the claim.

SPD Benefits Hotline
website: SPD Benefits Home
email: SPDBenefits@spd.in.gov
phone: 317-232-1167 or 877-248-0007

Retirement Funds (pension)

The Indiana Public Retirement System (INPRS) can be contacted to find out if the employee was eligible for benefits through the Public Employee Retirement Fund. If eligible, survivor’s benefits may be available.

Indiana Public Retirement System (INPRS)
website: www.in.gov/inprs
Public Employees: (844) GO-INPRS | (844) 464-6777

Deferred compensation

You are encouraged to contact Hoosier S.T.A.R.T for information about whether or not the employee was participating in a defined contribution plan to save for retirement. If the employee was participating, survivor benefits may be payable to dependents.

Hoosier S.T.A.R.T
website: www.in.gov/auditor/hoosierstart
phone: 317-631-5672 or 877-728-6738

Retirement Medical Benefits Account Plan

If the employee was eligible through the Public Employee Retirement Fund to receive a normal, unreduced retirement benefit covered dependents may be eligible to receive reimbursement for qualifying medical expenses from this account.

Indiana Public Retirement System
website: https://www.in.gov/inprs/3154.htm
phone: (844) GO-INPRS or (844) 464-6777

Key Benefits Administrators
phone: 317-284-7150 or 800-558-5553

Other contacts to consider

  • Social Security Administration - www.socialsecurity.gov
  • Veteran’s Affairs (if applicable) - www.va.gov
  • Additional insurance policies including life, car, homeowner’s, etc.
  • Financial Institutions
  • Utility companies
  • Previous employers about remaining/deferred benefits
  • Attorney/legal aide
  • Tax Advisor

Documents and information that you may need to provide:

  • Death Certificate
  • Name, date of birth, social security number, and address of decedent and dependents
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Decedent’s will
  • Financial records/statements
  • Titles to property
  • Power of attorney documents

Additional information