Agency Main Banner Content
Behind the wheel of a police car, at the controls of a helicopter, underwater in scuba gear, or handling explosives and firearms with an expert's touch, an Indiana State Trooper's career is one of action. From its humble beginning in 1933 with sixteen officers, to today's department with over 1,300 enforcement personnel, the Indiana State Police is one of the premier state police agencies in the country. Follow the links below to learn more about the Indiana State Police and how you might become a part of its future as an Indiana State Trooper.
The Indiana State Police is currently accepting applications for the 82nd Indiana State Police Recruit Academy. The application and the Physical Ability Test (PAT) assessment are combined components of this process. Both must be completed by the close date to proceed in the selection process.
82nd Trooper Application Steps
- Application Dates:
- OPENS June 29, 2021
- CLOSES August 22, 2021
- Submit application online
- Schedule Physical Ability Test (PAT) assessment
- Attend and pass PAT assessment before application closes
- Applicants must attend at least one PAT assessment and pass all 5 components consecutively.
- Applicants who fail any component of the PAT assessment may schedule another PAT assessment before August 22, 2021.
- If applicant attends multiple PAT assessments, only the most recent PAT will be recorded.
- Please see the application timeline below for dates, times, and locations for the PAT assessments.
Individuals who are interested in beginning a rewarding career as an Indiana State Trooper shall utilize the following links:
- Click here to submit your application for the 82nd Recruit Academy
- 82nd Recruit Academy Application Timeline
- Career Overview
- Salary and Benefits
- Eligibility and Requirements
- Selection Process
- Military Obligation Program
- Physical Ability Testing
- Recruit Academy
- ISP CrossFit
- Find Your Recruiter
- Frequently Asked Questions
You must have the most recent Adobe Reader program to download the application, and you may have to open the application using Internet Explorer web browser.
Should you experience problems opening the application, follow these steps:
- Right-click the link to the PDF file, and then click "Save Target As" from the sub-menu.
- The File Download dialog box opens, and a progress bar allows you to monitor the download process.
- After the file is downloaded, the Save As dialog box opens.
- Specify the location on your computer where you want to save the file, and click the "Save" button.
- After the file is saved, click the Close button in the File Download dialog box. Open the file stored on your computer and the file will open, in the Adobe Acrobat Reader, automatically.
- Ensure that “Protected View” is turned OFF in Adobe Acrobat Reader:
- Click on the menu bar "Edit => Preferences ...", or press "Ctrl+K" on the keyboard;
- On the left-hand side of the Preferences Dialog, click on "Security (Enhanced)";
- In the setting labeled "Sandbox Protections", CLEAR the checkbox labeled "Enable Protected Mode at startup".
- Close Adobe Reader, and then reopen the Application.