The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) issues a Worker’s Compensation Exemption Certificate Clearance to individual taxpayers who are independent contractors or otherwise not required to carry worker’s compensation insurance on themselves under the Worker’s Compensation Act of Indiana.
To receive this certificate clearance, you must meet the following requirements:
- All returns must be filed up to date
- All outstanding delinquencies must be paid in full
- All payments must be made in guaranteed funds
- Form WCE-1 must be filed along with $20 non-refundable application fee in guaranteed funds
Please mail all required documentation to:
Indiana Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 2305
Indianapolis, IN 46206
For more information regarding a Worker’s Compensation Exemption Certificate tax clearance, you may contact DOR's Compliance Check Unit at 317-232-5977. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., EST.
You can find more information regarding the issuance of this certificate on the Worker’s Compensation Board of Indiana website.
To find out more about what an individual contractor needs to keep in mind when filing his or her taxes with the State of Indiana, visit the Department’s New and Small Business Education Center.
- Check Your Refund
- INfreefile (Individual Income Tax)
- Tax Lien Balance Inquiry
- INtax (Business Taxes)
- Pay Electronically
- Make a Payment Plan
- Check Your Payment Status
- IFTA/MCFT Fuel Tax System
- IRP/BPR Processing
- OSW Permitting
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center