The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) wants to ensure you have the best opportunity to succeed in your business – because it’s people like you that bring jobs, innovation and progress to our state. That’s why we’ve created the New and Small Business Education Center – to help you better understand state laws, the tax-filing process, and what services are available to help you as your business evolves.
Whether you are a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or nonprofit, you may be required to register with the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR).
You will need to register if you:
- Will be selling products or tangible items (sales tax)
- Have employees (withholding tax)
- Sell food and beverages (sales tax and food-and-beverage tax)
- Rent accommodations for less than 30 days (innkeeper's tax)
- Rent motor vehicles (motor vehicle rental tax)
- Distribute gasoline or special fuel (prepaid fuel tax)
- Sell tires (tire fee)
- Sell fireworks (safety fee)
Running and succeeding in a new or small business is a dream, and a challenge. Understanding taxes is often one of the biggest challenges. DOR is here to help. The New and Small Business Education Center is not only a place to update your information, apply for new taxes, or find the forms you need, it is also a place with valuable resources for your business.
To get started, choose the type of organization below that best represents your business.
- Business Outreach Education Program
- Indiana Secretary of State
- Indiana Small Business Development Center
- INTax - File and Pay Various Business Tax Types and Much More
- IRS Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center
- Indiana Current Year Tax Forms