Indiana Educator Preparation Programs (EPPs) are expected to meet high standards of excellence and rigor. Only through regular reviews and annual reporting can the Indiana Department of Education ensure EPPs are providing high quality preparation for future Indiana educators. Therefore, EPPs are expected to meet the national standards of the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) in order to maintain national and state accreditation. While the department is responsible for monitoring all reviews and accreditation status, the Indiana State Board of Education is responsible for determining final state-recognition status of all EPPs (511 IAC 13-1-1).
Program areas specific to an EPP and leading to licensure, such as Social Studies Education or Teachers of English Learners, are also expected to meet the Specialized Association Standards (SPAs) unique to the licensure content area and are individually reviewed as a part of the regular CAEP review process. Content areas without a SPA are reviewed by a team of reviewers organized by the department and follow a similar review process as required by the SPAs. Initial Licensure/Post-baccalaureate programs, such as Transition to Teaching, will no longer be reviewed by an IL/PB SPA after Spring 2017 and also will be reviewed by a state team.
Any program area accredited by a “CAEP Recognized Accrediting Association” does not require a SPA or Non-SPA review by the state. Click here for a list of approved associations.
- State Review of Non-SPA Program Process
- State Review of Non-SPA Submission Form
- IL/PB State Review Process
- IL/PB State Review Process Submission Form
- Low-Enrollment Program with SPA-Waiver State Review Process
- Low-Enrollment Program SPA-Waiver Request Form
- Low-Enrollment Program with SPA-Waiver State Review Submission Form
- Submission Timeline for State Review
- CAEP Timeline
- Closing Program(s)
Forms – Beginning September 1, 2022
- Protocol for State Reviews
- SPA Waiver Request Form
- IL/PB State Review Form
- Non-SPA/SPA Waiver Review Form