Throughout 2017 the Department of Education worked with the United Montessori Schools of Indiana and Montessori-Now to recognize Montessori teacher preparation programs accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE) and to create an alternative path for Indiana licensure for more early childhood and elementary level teachers. As a result of this collaboration, Indiana will have a greater pool of licensed early childhood and elementary generalist teachers who will be able to teach in both traditional and Montessori classroom settings. Currently MACTE is the only national accreditor in teacher education recognized by the US Department of Education. The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) accepts MACTE accreditation as it does the accreditation by any accreditor recognized by the USDE.
Currently licensed Indiana early childhood and elementary generalist teachers who have completed MACTE accredited programs may apply to have a Montessori endorsement added to their teaching licenses. This endorsement acknowledges the unique Montessori pedagogical training they have completed within the grade coverage and validity of their current teaching licenses. Additionally, individuals with at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution who have completed MACTE accredited Montessori teacher training in other states will have a path to apply for Indiana early childhood or elementary generalist licensure upon passage of all required licensure tests.
For information on adding a Montessori endorsement to an existing Indiana instructional license, Click Here.
All documentation must be provided (uploaded) together in the application. If additional documentation is needed, your application will be returned to you. Applications marked as Additional Documentation Required will be held for 90 days, after which they will be closed. You will be required to apply again and submit another fee.
- Valid CPR certification from an IDOE approved provider.
- Suicide prevention training certificate.
- Official transcripts for all coursework completed:
- Obtain an official transcript for your own records and upload to the application.
- The signature of the registrar must be visible.
- Unofficial transcripts, diplomas, and grade reports are not accepted.
- Electronic transcripts: ensure the document is not locked, expired, or password protected.
- Paper transcripts: scan each transcript double-sided into one PDF file.
- If the file is over 5 MB, use a PDF compression tool such as smallpdf.com
- Please do not mail transcripts directly.
If necessary, transcripts can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official score reports for pedagogy and content area assessment tests.
- Copy of Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE) certificate.
Licensing Fee Information: Click here.
Step-by-Step Instructions: Click here.