Language Translation
  Close Menu

Radioactive Materials Registration


Within the state of Indiana, organizations or persons are required to submit a radioactive materials registration in accordance with the Radiation Control Act of Indiana (IC 10-19-11). Radiation Control (410 IAC 5), specifically 410 IAC 5-2-1, requires each person who receives, possesses, uses, transfers, owns or acquires radioactive material to register those materials with IDHS. If you are bringing radioactive materials or a device into the state, even temporarily, you will need to register (see the Reciprocity section below for additional details).

Per Indiana Code 10-19-11, "radioactive material" means byproduct material; source material; special nuclear material; or any solid, liquid or gas material that emits radiation spontaneously. Radioactive materials include byproduct, source and special nuclear materials, all licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and naturally occurring and accelerator-produced radioactive materials (NORM), which are regulated by IDHS.

To register, please complete the Radioactive Materials Registration Application (State Form 49771) below, and then submit it via email to

Download the Radioactive Materials Registration Application (State Form 49771)

Please note the following:

  • There are no administrative fees to process the registration application.
  • This registration does not replace an NRC license.
  • This registration should be renewed every two years.
  • It is your responsibility to renew the state registration.

Once each registration is submitted, IDHS will issue a Radioactive Material Facility Registration Certificate. This certificate will include a registration number and an expiration date. Please include your registration number in all correspondence to IDHS.

If changes occur with your state registration information during the two-year period, you must provide an amendment of changes along with written notification of these changes to IDHS within 30 days. Please use State Form 49771 to submit all amendments (please check the amendment box).

These changes include but are not limited to:

  • The facility changes ownership
  • The facility ceases all activities covered by the state registration
  • Transfer of ownership of radioactive material(s)
  • Addition or deletion of radioactive materials
  • Maximum activity
  • Changes in address and/or telephone number
  • Changes in radiation safety officer (RSO)


Indiana is not an NRC Agreement state at this time. You will need to apply for reciprocity through the NRC if you do not have an NRC license already. Please note this is different from an agreement state license. Visit the Frequently Asked Questions About NRC Reciprocity webpage for more information.

Under Indiana Code, you are required to apply for radioactive materials registration when you are bringing radioactive materials into the state. Use the form above and send it with the required information to at least three business days in advance before the materials are brought to Indiana. Please be sure to fill out the following information on the form:

  • NRC license number or agreement state license number ("Registration number")
  • Name of the field unit operating under the license ("Name (Name of Company/Corporate)")
  • Address of the business ("Address")
  • Name of radiation safety officer on the license ("Name of Radiation Safety Officer (RSO)")
  • Job site-related information
    • Company the work is for ("Facility where materials/sources will be used")
    • City and county ("Address of facility")
    • Contact person for the use of the material/unit in the field ("Authorized/individual users")
      • This should be the person responsible for the material/unit while in use or transit.
  • Radioactive materials/sources ("List of Sealed Sources" or "List of Radioactive Materials")

Also include:

  • Date the business is entering the state to perform work
  • A copy of your approved NRC reciprocity license