Radioactive Materials Registration
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
except state-observed holidays
Indiana Dept. of Homeland Security
Indiana Government Center-South, Room E208
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2739
Within the state of Indiana, organizations or persons are required to submit a radioactive materials registration in accordance with the Radiation Control Act of Indiana (IC 10-19-11). Radiation Control (410 IAC 5), specifically 410 IAC 5-2-1, requires each person who receives, possesses, uses, transfers, owns or acquires radioactive material to register those materials with IDHS.
Per Indiana Code 10-19-11, "radioactive material" means byproduct material; source material; special nuclear material; or any solid, liquid or gas material that emits radiation spontaneously. Radioactive materials include byproduct, source and special nuclear materials, all licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), and naturally occurring and accelerator-produced radioactive materials (NORM), which are regulated by IDHS.
To register your facility, please complete the Radioactive Materials Registration Application (State Form 49771).
Please submit the application via email at email@example.com.
Please note the following:
- There are no administrative fees to process the registration application.
- This registration does not replace an NRC license.
- This registration should be renewed every two years.
- It is your responsibility to renew the state registration.
Once each registration is submitted, IDHS will issue a Radioactive Material Facility Registration Certificate. This certificate will include a registration number and an expiration date. Please include your registration number in all correspondence to IDHS.
If changes occur with your state registration information during the two-year period, you must provide an amendment of changes along with written notification of these changes to IDHS within 30 days. Please use State Form 49771 to submit all amendments (please check amendment box).
These changes include but are not limited to:
- The facility changes ownership
- The facility ceases all activities covered by the state registration
- Transfer of ownership of radioactive material(s)
- Addition or deletion of radioactive materials
- Maximum activity
- Changes in address and/or telephone number
- Changes in Radiation Safety Officer (RSO)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 317-232-2222 if you need assistance.