On July 4, 1800, the U.S. Congress carved the Indiana Territory out of the larger Northwest Territory while preparing to grant statehood to an area known as Ohio. Before long, residents of the Indiana Territory wanted statehood for their own stomping grounds. And that’s the subject of this month’s IN History.
Webmaster’s note: There has been conflicting research on whether any formal meetings occurred outdoors under the “Constitutional Elm” during the drafting of the Indiana Constitution.
On June 2, 1942, the first official order was issued from the new Camp Atterbury Training Center near Edinburgh. The facility, a training base of the Indiana National Guard, was named for Indiana native Gen. William Wallace Atterbury, who had served as a staff member to Gen. John G. Pershing in World War I. This photo, taken Aug. 31, 2010, shows U.S. Army Pfc. Joseph Guzman, 1st Battalion, 181st Infantry Regiment, preparing to drop a 60mm mortar to launch at fixed targets at Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center. The Massachusetts National Guard unit was training to provide security to roughly a dozen provincial reconstruction teams across Afghanistan. (John Crosby/U.S. Army)
Col. Richard Owen
Col. Richard Owen
On June 9, 1913, this bust of Col. Richard Owen was unveiled at the Indiana Statehouse. A gift to the state from Confederate veterans, the bust honors Owen for his "kindness and courtesy" as Commandant of Camp Morton, a Civil War prison camp in Indianapolis. The last Confederate prisoner of war was released from Camp Morton, which occupied 30 acres in what is now the Herron-Morton neighborhood, on June 12, 1865. Owen eventually served as state geologist, Indiana University professor and the first president of Purdue University. (Bill McCleery/IOT)
On June 20, 1790, Knox County became one of two original counties of the Northwest Territory. It covered a huge area, embracing all or parts of Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. It was reduced to its present size in 1817, after Indiana became a state the previous year. The county's population was 38,440 in 2010. Vincennes -- Indiana's original territorial capital - is the county seat. Pictured here is a staircase inside "Grouseland," the elegant Georgian/Federal home in Vincennes completed in 1804 and inhabited by Indiana Territorial Governor William Henry Harrison and his family. The house was the first brick home in Indiana and is a National Historic Landmark. Harrison was elected the ninth President of the United States in 1840. (Vincennes/Knox County Visitors and Tourism Bureau)
Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home
On June 15, 1867, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home opened in Knightstown as a facility dedicated to care of the children of Civil War veterans. This photo shows the historic administration building that stands at the site, which is now used by the Indiana National Guard as the Hoosier Youth ChalleNGe Academy (HYCA), which is a quasi-residential program designed to provide structure and life skills to students aged 16 to 18 who have dropped out of high school. (Nathan Riggs/INDOT)
On June 8, 1839, the first boat on the Whitewater Canal reached Brookville from Lawrenceburg. Over the length of its 76-mile route through occasionally hilly terrain, the canal dropped 491 feet. To enable transportation over this steep grade, the canal's builders installed 56 locks and seven dams. Pictured here is Gordon's Lock, also called Millville Lock, in Metamora. (Public domain)
Click on an image to see a slideshow and to learn more about Indiana's history.
Learn about Indiana locations in 360° degrees. On a desktop machine? Use your mouse to drag the video around and see the entire location. On a mobile device or already watching 360° videos with your Google Cardboard ™? Just spin your body around to see all angles of the 360° video environment.