Individual Income Taxes
Have questions about filing your individual income taxes? DOR has answers to frequently asked questions about individual income taxes.
2022 Tax Year FAQs coming soon
Automatic Taxpayer Refund (ATR) Information
DOR continues to coordinate with the Governor’s Office, Auditor of State, and others to provide eligible Hoosiers the opportunity to claim the 2022 Additional Automatic Taxpayer Refund (ATR). To receive the $200 refundable tax credit, qualified taxpayers must file a 2022 Indiana resident tax return before Jan. 1, 2024. That means some Hoosiers who do not normally file a tax return due to their income will need to file a 2022 state tax return to claim the ATR as a credit. Instead of a direct payment, the $200 ATR tax credit will be received as a refund or applied toward any additional taxes owed. Additional ATR information is available on our website .
The Auditor of State’s Office and Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) reminds Hoosiers to be mindful of potential scams regarding tax refunds.
You should ignore any texts, emails, or calls regarding these refunds, especially messages containing links or requesting personal or financial information such as Social Security or bank account numbers.
Click away from this window to close it.
Wage Statement Requests
In accordance with SEA 565, DOR may provide customers or their legal representatives a statement of income tax withholding upon request, effective July 1, 2019.Find out how to make a request
Assistance for Seniors and Low-Income Customers
If you are a senior or low-income customer looking for assistance in preparing your individual income taxes, there are organizations that can help. These resources are not affiliated with the Indiana Department of Revenue and operate independently.
- The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program focuses on helping low- and moderate-income people, with special attention to those over age 60.
- The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify.
- The John Boner Neighborhood Centers is part of Indy Free Tax Prep, Central Indiana’s Network for Free Tax Preparation. As part of the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, they offer free tax preparation and other services to eligible residents.
- Indy Free Tax Prep is a network of Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites provide through the United Way of Central Indiana that offer free tax preparation to individuals and families with a combined household income of $64,000 or less. Taxpayers looking for services may dial 2-1-1 to find a nearby VITA location and schedule an appointment. If you have questions or want to volunteer, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Indiana Legal Services offers free legal assistance for Hoosiers involved in a dispute with the IRS. The Low-Income Tax Clinic (LITC) is for clients whose income does not exceed 250% of Annual Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- The Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic offers the Tax and Economic Justice program which also provides legal representation for clients involved in a dispute with the IRS. The website also provides numerous resources for correctly filing your taxes. This is for clients whose income does not exceed 250% of Annual Federal Poverty Guidelines. Dial 877-236-0730, ext. 4, and leave a voicemail.
Información en español
DOR ha traducido la siguiente información para beneficio de nuestros clientes de habla español.
- DOR Guia de Servicios Para Contribuyentes Individuales (DOR Services Guide)
- Quien Deberia Presentar una Declaración de Impuestos (Who Should File a Tax Return)
- Presentar su Declaración de Impuestos con Anticipación (Filing My Taxes Early)
- Ayudar a los Habitantes de Hoosiers a Sentirse Seguros de con quien se Asocian para Preparar y Presentar sus Declaraciones de Impuestos (Help Selecting a Tax Preparer)
- Principales consejos de impuestos (Top Tax Tips)
Puede traducir cualquier página web in.gov a uno de mas de 90 idiomas diferentes con Google Translate. Desplácese hasta la parte inferior de cualquier pagina y haga clic en “seleccionar idioma” junto al icono “G” de Google para seleccionar el idioma que necesita.
If you need assistance in another language, please use the Google Translate feature at the bottom of each webpage.