Welcome to the Indiana War Memorials
The Indiana War Memorial and Museum are now open five days a week from Wednesday through Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to welcome and assist all visitors. Indiana War Memorials Commission will follow all guidelines and recommendations outlined by Governor Eric Holcomb, the Indiana State Department of Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In accordance with the State of Indiana face covering mandate, visitors are required to wear face coverings inside the Indiana War Memorial and Museum. Masks must be provided by the visitor. Hand sanitizer is located throughout the building and social distancing must be maintained. Increased cleaning and sanitizing protocols and schedules are in effect.
Indiana War Memorials Commission is thrilled to welcome events and tours back to our properties. For further information on open days and times, events or tours, please call 317-232-7615.
The Indiana War Memorial Plaza Historic District includes the 30,000 square foot IWM Museum complete with military equipment and artifacts, three parks, four fountains, and 25 acres of monuments, statues, and sculptures in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. The IWM's properties include the Indiana War Memorial, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, the Indiana World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam War Memorials, the USS Indianapolis (CA-35) Memorial, the Medal of Honor Memorial, the 9/11 Memorial, and the Indiana Gold Star Families Memorial. No state has a city with more monuments dedicated to veterans than Indiana's capital, and no city in the country maintains more acreage honoring veterans than Indianapolis. It is also home to the American Legion National Headquarters, which is the largest veterans' organization in the world. The IWM Commission operates these facilities in pursuit of its primary mission: to commemorate the valor and sacrifice of the United States Armed Forces and to honor Hoosier veterans and Indiana's role in the nation's conflicts.
For more information, please visit the Indiana War Memorials Foundation.
- Message from the Executive Director
- IWM Historic District interview with Brigadier General Stewart Goodwin, Executive Director IWM
- Leadership Interview with Brigadier General Stewart Goodwin, Executive Director IWM
Hours of Operation
- The Indiana War Memorial Museum is open Wednesday-Sunday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- The IWM Business Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- The Soldiers & Sailors Monument and Gift Shop are open Thursday-Sunday from 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
- The War Memorials are closed on all National and State holidays except Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Bricks of Honor
The Indiana War Memorials Foundation commemorates veterans with "Bricks of Honor". Each brick is engraved with a veteran's name, rank, branch and dates of service, and placed around the Soldiers & Sailors Monument in the heart of Indianapolis, ensuring that our heroes will not be forgotten by future generations. You can order a brick for $125 tax-deductible charitable donation. You may also request the location of your brick and schedule a ceremony to have it installed with the veteran and family present. Bricks of Honor are prepared and installed on a quarterly basis as weather permits. For more information, please visit IWMF's Bricks of Honor page, or download the brochure.
Girl Scouts for Old Glory
The Indiana War Memorials has collaborated with the Girl Scouts of Central Indiana to collect US Flags that should be retired. The purpose of the collection is to provide a proper way of retiring the flags, which will take place at the Girl Scouts summer camps where the scouts will learn the history and meaning of flag retirement. Flags will be collected at the Indiana War Memorial throughout the year. US Flags that are structurally damaged or faded should be respectfully retired. This program provides for proper retirement and presents a learning opportunity for the Girl Scouts. Click here to listen to an interview about the program on WFYI's "No Limits".
- The American Legion 500 Festival Memorial Service will take place at 6:30 pm on Friday, May 26, 2023, at the Indiana War Memorial. The event is free and open to the public. Please visit the American Legion 500 Festival Memorial Service website for more information.
- The Indiana Gold Star Families Memorial is IWM's newest memorial. Please see the website and the Indiana Gold Star Families Memorial brochure for more information.
- For the latest IWM news, please follow us on Facebook.
- IWM's Rules.IN.gov page is now available; view it here.