Amber Alert

Business Owner's Guide

Local & Federal Regulations

Cities and Counties in Indiana have jurisdiction over many areas, which can affect small business. Zoning regulations and signage issues are almost always local issues. As mentioned earlier, contractor licensing (for contractors other than plumbers) is also a local option. Some areas also have a "transient merchant" license or some other regulation of those doing business without an established business location. Since regulations vary from city to city and county to county, it is always necessary to contact the local government wherever work id done. Consult a local telephone directory for contact information regarding local government offices. For general information regarding the federal government agency contact:

Federal Citizen Information Center
800- 333-4636, 800-688-9889