Subpage Content


  • switcher

    Welcome to, the hub for professional license information.

    Click an agency to view more information about the types of licenses offered.

    Questions? Try looking through the FAQ section.

  • Indiana Professional Licensing Agency

    The Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA) is the umbrella agency for 38 professional boards and commissions that regulate approximately 480,210 professionals and businesses licensed to perform approximately 195 different occupations. IPLA licenses professions as set in statute by the Indiana General Assembly. The governor appoints members of the oversight boards and commissions, and staff navigates the details and provides customer support to administer licenses of almost half a million working Hoosiers.

    Visit Site
  • Indiana Department of Insurance

    The mission of the Producer and Agency Licensing Division is to assure that producers and agencies are properly educated and licensed to sell insurance in Indiana. The Division is responsible for approving pre-licensing education course content, texts, instructors, program directors and schools. There are currently approximately 670 continuing education providers and approximately 200 pre-licensing providers. Insurance licenses for Life, Health, Life & Health, Property & Casualty, Consultants, Independent Adjusters, Public Adjusters, Title, Limited Lines such as Credit Life, Prearranged Funeral, Crop, and Navigators are issued to residents, non-residents and business entities. The Division currently has approximately 49,0000 resident licenses and approximately 146,000 non-resident licenses. The Division also regulates compliance with renewals and continuing education requirements.

    Visit Site
  • Indiana State Department of Health

    The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) is the licensing agency for healthcare facilities and serves as the state survey agency on behalf of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The ISDH licenses and/or certifies 32 types of health care providers covering more than 9,000 acute and long-term care facilities. The ISDH is also responsible for the licensing of radiologic technologists, as well as certification of nurse aides and home health aides.

    Visit Site
  • Indiana Department of Environmental Management

    The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) is the agency that implements federal and state regulations to protect human health and the environment in Indiana while allowing the environmentally sound operations of industrial, agricultural, commercial, and government activities vital to a prosperous economy. IDEM licenses wastewater operators and apprentices, drinking water operators, and asbestos operators in Indiana. Certification licenses may be renewed on the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency’s website.

    Visit Site
  • Alcohol and Tobacco Commission

    The Alcohol and Tobacco Commission licenses and regulates more than 10,000 permits for the manufacture, distribution or sale of alcoholic beverages at restaurants, breweries, wineries, grocery stores, hotels, drug stores, package stores, stadiums, civic centers, social and fraternal clubs, horse tracks and river boats throughout the State of Indiana. In addition to business alcoholic beverage permits, the Commission licenses and regulates the more than 140,000 permits of every bartender, waiter, waitress, salesperson and clerk associated with the sale or service of alcoholic beverages. The Commission also licenses the retailers, distributors, and manufacturers of Tobacco and Type II Gaming.

    Visit Site
  • Indiana Department of Revenue

    The Indiana Department of Revenue serves Indiana by administering tax laws in fair, secure and efficient manner. Our purpose is to provide great government service at a great value to our customers. In addition to administering state tax laws, the department develops regulations and makes decisions about tax policy. In some cases, the department may hold the renewal of any license issued by the state of Indiana until any tax issues have been resolved. The department issues tax clearances for alcohol and tobacco licenses, dealer licenses, Hoosier Lottery retailer licenses, professional licenses and university contractors. For more information, please visit

    Visit Site
  • Family and Social Services Administration

    FSSA certifies a subset of the Medicaid enrolled providers, known as “waiver providers,” for our home and community based services (HCBS) waiver programs. These allow our members to be served in community settings while residing in their own home instead of institutional nursing facilities. The Division of Aging, Division of Mental Health and Addiction, and Division of Disability and Rehabilitative Services receive applications for certification from providers who want to participate in the HCBS waiver program. Division staff review provider policy and procedures, qualifications and, for some providers, physical locations. For some services, waiver providers are required to be licensed – generally issued by the Indiana State Department of Health. The provider must present evidence of licensure as part of the certification process. This can include a personal services agency (PSA) license, a home health agency (HHA) license or a residential care facility (RCF) license. 

    DMHA -- The Division of Mental Health and Addiction certifies all community mental health centers and addiction treatment services providers. DMHA also issues licenses to private inpatient psychiatric hospitals.

    OECOSL -- The Office of Early Childhood and Out-of-School Learning is responsible for licensing and monitoring child care centers and child care homes. The office is also responsible for monitoring unlicensed registered child care ministries and regulates early education environments that meet Provider Eligibility Standards. This would include non-public and public school partners.  

    DDRS -- The Indiana State Department of Health certifies all Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID) in regards to compliance with Conditions of Participation in the areas of governing body, client protections, facility staffing, active treatment, client behavior, health care services, physical environment, and dietetic services. The Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services is responsible for issuing ICF/IID licenses to certified facilities in accordance with the ISDH certified contract capacity and BDDS staffing hour determination level.

    Visit Site
  • Indiana Department of Homeland Security

    The Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) oversees inspections and permits in areas such as fire and building safety, construction, hazardous materials transportation, explosives, fireworks, entertainment venues and reduced fire risk cigarettes. IDHS performs about 90,000 inspections per year involving public structures and worksites such as schools, hospitals and childcare providers. IDHS also conducts thousands of inspections per year for entertainment venues and amusement rides. In addition, IDHS reviews more than 10,000 construction design projects per year for various locations throughout Indiana.

    Visit Site
  • Department of Natural Resources

    The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for a wide variety of permits and licenses, including but not limited to: Fishing License, Hunting License, Trapping License, Wild Animal Possession Permit, Nuisance Wild Animal Control Permit, Wild Animal Rehabilitation Permit, Scientific Purposes Permit, Bait Dealer’s License, Taxidermist License, Nursery Dealer License, Nursery Grower Certification, Voluntary Nursery License, Geocaching Placement Permit, Timber Buyers License, Ginseng Dealer License, and Oil and/or Gas Drilling.

    The Division of Water administers several regulatory responsibilities under the Flood Control Act and Lake Preservation Act that require permits/licenses for such things as construction in a floodway, seawalls, and group piers in public freshwater lakes, as well as licenses for water well drillers and pump installers.

    DNR also issues permits specific to DNR-managed properties, such as commercial filming/photography license, vendor permit, special events permit, motorized and non-motorized boat launch permits required for lakes located on DNR-managed properties, mountain bike permits and horse trail tags for trails on DNR-managed properties, and non-resident motorized ORV registration permits (for use only at Interlake and Redbird state recreation areas).

    Visit our site, and locate Licenses, Permits & Forms under DNR Home in the left navigation bar

    Visit Site
  • Indiana Gaming Commission

    The Indiana Gaming Commission (IGC) issues a variety of licenses in the areas of casino gaming, charity gaming, mixed martial arts and boxing. The IGC Annual Report provides details on the types of licenses in each category. Of the licenses issued by IGC, the majority are for casino employees. Such data is stored on a proprietary database and protected by state law.

    View Report

    Visit Site
  • Indiana Professional
    Licensing Agency

  • Indiana Department
    of Insurance

  • Indiana State
    Department of Health

  • Indiana Department of
    Environmental Management

  • Indiana Department
    of Revenue

  • Family and Social
    Services Administration

  • Indiana Department
    of Homeland Security

  • Department of
    Natural Resources

  • Indiana
    Gaming Commission Info

Emergency Numbers


Any Emergency


Crisis and Suicide Lifeline

(800) 222-1222

Poison Control


Non-Emergency Police Department