Home Calendar About Links FAQs Contact
Quick Facts
  1. Discharge papers (DD-214)
  2. Education & Training Programs
  3. Employment Assistance
  4. Federal Veterans Programs Contacts
  5. Hunting and Fishing License Fee Reduction for Resident Service-connected Disabled Vets
  6. Indiana Veterans' Organizations Websites
  7. Property Tax Abatements
  8. Remission of Fees (Free Tuition) for the Child(ren) of a Disabled Veteran
  9. Service organizations accredited to represent veterans and their dependents in the filing of federal claims
  10. Soldiers and Sailors Children's School
  11. Veterans Home

How do I obtain a copy of my discharge papers (DD-214)?
If you are unable to locate discharge and separation papers, duplicate copies may be obtained by writing the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Specify that a duplicate separation document or discharge is needed. The veteran's full name should be printed or typed, and the request must contain the signature of the veteran or the signature of the next of kin, if the veteran is deceased. Include the veteran's branch of service, service number or Social Security number (whichever is appropriate), and the exact or approximate years of service. If possible, use Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, which is available from VA offices, Country Veterans Service Officers, and most veteran service organizations. A copy of the DD214 is sent to the state veterans affairs office of the home state of each veteran upon discharge or separation from active duty or initial active duty for training (IADT). Indiana veterans may contact the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs to see if a copy of their DD-214 is on file in Indianapolis (317-232-3910 or toll free at 800-400-4520).

Who do I contact for information regarding federal veterans programs?
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (www.va.gov) is a federal agency with regional offices throughout the U.S. The VA Regional Office processes claims for VA benefits including disability compensation, pension, vocational training for disabled veterans, burial allowance, and survivor's compensation and pension. Frequently used VA program points of contact include:

VA Regional Office Indiana VA Regional Office
575 North Pennsylvania Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1581
Toll-Free (in-state) 1-800-827-1000

Home Loan Guaranty Benefits VA Home Loan Guaranty Office
Winston-Salem, NC
Toll-Free 1-888-244-6711

Education Benefits/GI Bill VA Regional Processing Center
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
Toll-Free 1-888-442-4551

VA Life Insurance Programs VA Regional Office and Insurance Center
P.O. Box 8079
Philadelphia, PA 19101
Toll-Free 1-800-669-8477

Service organizations accredited to represent veterans and their dependents in the filing of claims
The service organizations listed below are accredited to represent veterans and their dependents in the filling of claims. All are co-located at the VA Regional Office located at 575 North Pennsylvania Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204-1581.

American Legion, Room 325317-226-7918
AMVETS, Room 377317-226-7919
Disabled American Veterans, Room 399317-226-7928
Military Order of the Purple Heart, Room 330317-226-7865
Marine Corps League (Tues - Thurs)317-554-0000 EXT 2517
(located Indianapolis VA Medical Center, Rm C-2067)
Paralyzed Veterans, Room 328317-226-6835
Veterans of Foreign Wars, Room 374317-226-7932
Vietnam Veterans of America317-226-5209 ext. 3127

Indiana Veterans' Organizations Website Links