Approved Ride Safe Indiana providers offer courses for beginning and advanced motorcyclists who want to learn or improve their riding skills. Five hours of classroom instruction prepares you for 10 hours of practical riding exercises in a controlled, off-street environment. The course concludes with a knowledge and skills evaluation. Motorcycles are provided free of charge for your use during the course. Training course completion documents issued by an approved Ride Safe Indiana provider are valid for one year from date of issuance.
A motorcycle endorsement may be issued to Indiana residents who are at least 16 years and 180 days of age and hold a valid Indiana driver’s license. To add a motorcycle endorsement to your Indiana driver’s license, you must:
- Sign up and successfully complete a training course with a provider at a Ride Safe Indiana (RSI)-authorized training location.
- Visit your local BMV branch and successfully complete a written knowledge exam to obtain your motorcycle permit.
- Take a motorcycle skills exam at an Ride Safe Indiana (RSI)-authorized training location.
- Upon successful completion, visit a BMV branch with your signed and stamped motorcycle permit to receive your motorcycle endorsement.
- The motorcycle learner’s permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance.
- A motorcycle learner's permit may be renewed one time for a period of one year. An individual who does not obtain a motorcycle endorsement before the expiration of the renewed motorcycle learner's permit must wait one year to reapply for a new motorcycle learner's permit or successfully participate in an approved Ride Safe Indiana motorcycle safety course.
You may also be required to pass a standard vision screening exam. If you are less than 18 years of age when you apply for a motorcycle endorsement, you must have a parent or guardian sign an Agreement of Financial Liability.
Active duty military members who are Indiana residents, but are stationed outside of the state, may obtain a motorcycle endorsement after completing the following steps:
- Successfully complete a motorcycle safety course through the military or a program where you are stationed within the last year;
- Submit a copy of a Motorcycle Safety Course Completion document proving successful completion of motorcycle safety course;
- Submit a copy of Indiana driver’s license; and
- Submit a copy of military ID or orders
New Indiana Residents
New Indiana residents who hold a valid motorcycle endorsement from another state may transfer their motorcycle endorsement to their Indiana driver’s license after passing a motorcycle knowledge exam.