Approved Ride Safe Indiana providers offer courses for beginning and advanced motorcyclists who want to learn or improve their riding skills. Five hours of classroom instruction prepares you for 10 hours of practical riding exercises in a controlled, off-street environment. The course concludes with a knowledge and skills evaluation. Motorcycles are provided free of charge for your use during the course. Training course completion documents issued by an approved Ride Safe Indiana provider are valid for one year from date of issuance.
How to Obtain a Motorcycle Endorsement
Indiana residents who are at least 16 years and 90 days of age and hold a valid Indiana driver’s license may:
- Successfully complete a Safety Course with an authorized Ride Safe Indiana provider
- Bring graduation documentation when you visit a BMV Branch to receive your new credential with motorcycle endorsement
Indiana residents who are at least 16 years and 270 days of age and hold a valid Indiana driver’s license may:
- Successfully complete a written knowledge exam at a BMV branch to obtain a motorcycle permit
- Pass a motorcycle skills exam at an authorized Ride Safe Indiana training location
- Upon successful completion of the written knowledge and skills exams, visit a BMV branch with your signed and stamped motorcycle permit
If you are less than 18 years of age you must have a parent or guardian sign an Agreement of Financial Liability.
You may also be required to pass a standard vision screening exam. If you are less than 18 years of age when you apply for a motorcycle endorsement, you must have a parent or guardian sign an Agreement of Financial Liability.
Active duty military members who are Indiana residents, but are stationed outside of the state, may obtain a motorcycle endorsement after completing the following steps:
- Successfully complete a motorcycle safety course through the military or a program where you are stationed within the last year;
- Submit a copy of a Motorcycle Safety Course Completion document proving successful completion of motorcycle safety course;
- Submit a copy of Indiana driver’s license; and
- Submit a copy of military ID or orders
New Indiana Residents
New Indiana residents who hold a valid motorcycle endorsement from another state may transfer their motorcycle endorsement to their Indiana driver’s license after passing a motorcycle knowledge exam.