Start Here for Information You Need to Know
- Fee Schedule
- Current Indiana Food Code (Title 410 IAC 7-24)
- Food Safety Certification Classes
- Food Handler Certification Rule + FAQ
- Food Handler Certification Exemptions
- Indiana State Dept. of Health (ISDH) - Food Protection home page
- How to start a food business - Info from the ISDH
- New food business - submission of plans to the Health Department is REQUIRED! Also required for remodeled food businesses and/or new owners
- So you want to open a food service establishment? - brochure
- So you want to open a coffee shop? - brochure
- Can I use my home kitchen for a food business? - brochure
- Requirements for caterers - brochure
- Variance requests and notices
- Law Prohibiting Smoking Went into Effect July 1, 2012
- Non-smoking signs from the Alcohol and Tobacco Commission (scroll down to the heading "Tobacco Retailer and Smoke Free Air Signs"; see signage links below that)
- Order non-smoking window clings and posters from Breathe Easy Indiana
Harrison County Local Food Ordinances
Temporary and Mobile Food Establishments
- Temporary food vendor application and 5-page information packet - IMPORTANT!
- NEW and IMPORTANT! - Requirements for Temporary Food Booths (brochure) All Temporary Food Booths Must Follow These Requirements!
- Food safety at temporary events (fairs, festivals, etc.) - brochure
- Food Safety for Volunteers and Non-Profit Groups - brochure
- Mobile unit application
- Temporary vs. Mobile vs. Retail Food Establishments...What's the Difference? brochure NEW!
- Basic Requirements to Operate a Mobile Food Establishment (food truck, pushcart) - brochure
- Hot dog cart / mobile grill requirements - brochure
- Considering a hot dog cart/pushcart/mobile unit? Questions to consider first!
- Equipment Requirements for Mobile Units (sinks, plumbing, ventilation, overhead cover, etc.) NEW and IMPORTANT!
- Commissary Requirements - brochure NEW and IMPORTANT!
- Commissary Agreement
- IMPORTANT! Handwashing/dishwashing information sheet if no running water at temporary event
- IMPORTANT! Regarding floor, walls, roof in temporary food booths
Farmer's Market Vendors
- FAQ for Home Based Vendors (from IN Dept of Health)
- pH of fruits that are acceptable for jam/jelly made by home based vendors (HBVs)
- Indiana State Egg Board - information and applications for egg sellers
- On-Farm Poultry or Rabbit Processing (with information about eggs) - Brochure NEW!
- Slaughter of Livestock and Poultry for Food
- Food Safety at Farmer's Markets - brochure
- For Home Based Vendors (HBVs) - brochure
- May I Produce, Can and Sell my Super-Delicious (fill in the blank) at a Farmer's Market? - brochure NEW!
- Can I sell it at a farmer's market? NEW!
- Guidance for honey producers
- Guidance for maple syrup producers
- Guidance for selling pet food and treats in Indiana
- Licensing application for selling pet food/treats in Indiana
- Labeling Homemade Soaps and Lotions for sale - brochure NEW!
Other Helpful Information
- Safe cooking temperatures
- When it comes to convenience food, remember to cook it safe!
- Food safety & power outages
- Can you re-freeze food that has thawed? - brochure NEW!
- Summer Food Safety - brochure NEW!
- You think it might be food poisoning?
- Recalls / advisories from the ISDH (IN State Dept of Health)
- Recalls from the FDA (Food & Drug Administration)
- Recalls from the USDA (US Department of Agriculture)
- Handwashing poster #1 (yellow)
- Handwashing poster #2 (blue)
- It's not illegal for a store to sell food that's past its expiration date?!
- NEW! Information about service animals, restaurants, and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Call 812-738-3237, Option 3