A Superload is any vehicle (plus its load) which exceeds the following weights and dimensions:
- Width exceeding 17 feet
- Height exceeding 15 feet
- Length exceeding 110 feet
- Weight exceeding 108,000 pounds
Superloads weighing less than 200,000 pounds may require a police escort depending on road conditions. Superloads weighing 200,000 pounds or more require a police escort if the route includes bridge slowdowns. All superloads require a permit issued by the Indiana Department of Revenue (IDOR).
Superload escorts may occur only Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm, unless it is deemed an emergency movement and such movement is approved by INDOT or IDOR. (Superloads will be declared an emergency ONLY for life and death situations.)
Superload Permits & Indiana State Police Escort
- Order the permit from IDOR
- Upon notification from IDOR, the carrier must request a Superload Agreement Number from the ISP Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED), 812-533-1100
- Fill out the contract, (below) attach a copy of the permit and slowdowns, and fax to the CVED at 812-533-1344
- CVED will set up an escort date within 72 hours
Download the ISP Superload Escort Agreement.