The starting salary for an Indiana State Police (ISP) recruit is $1,807.70 bi-weekly as a Trooper Trainee during the academy training. At the completion of academy training, the starting annual salary is $51,000 as a Probationary Trooper. Graduates of the ISP Recruit Academy are offered an excellent health care plan, which includes medical, dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both current and retired employees, along with their families, until reaching age 65. The ISP pension program provides a lifetime benefit after 25 years of service. Additionally, the ISP provides comprehensive disability coverage and a life insurance program.
Pay Matrix: Trooper Matrix - Effective July 2022
Longevity Pay Scale: Longevity Pay Scale - Effective July 2022
- Police employees earn 12 vacation days annually. Additional vacation days are granted after 5, 10 and 20 years of service to a maximum of 25.
- Uniform, ordinance, automotive and other equipment is furnished by the Indiana State Police Department.
- Group individual or family medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance is available for the employee and eligible dependents.
- The State of Indiana provides $20,000 life insurance with an additional accidental death benefit of $149,000. Supplemental life insurance is available for the employee and eligible dependents at nominal rates.
- A pension plan that incorporates a voluntary Deferred Retirement Option Program (D.R.O.P.) and a Partial Lump Sum Option (P.L.S.O.) retirement benefit program.
- Troopers may purchase years of service credit for eligible prior
- Military service
- Indiana municipal police officer service
- Indiana sheriff's deputy service
- Other Indiana county police officer service
- Indiana State Excise police officer service
- Indiana Conservation Enforcement officer service.
- Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program information is available at: