Apply for a Handgun Dealer License
Welcome to the Indiana State Police online handgun dealer license application portal. This page will provide an overview of the application process, and a link to get started online.
To apply for a new, or to renew an existing, Indiana Handgun Dealer License:
- Step 1:
Complete a Handgun Dealer License Application online at the Indiana State Police Handgun Licensing Portal. There is a $60.00 state fee for this application.
- Step 2:
- Visit your county sheriff to be fingerprinted for a criminal background check.
Visit Your County Sheriff's Office
You MUST visit the County Sheriff in the county you RESIDE to be fingerprinted for a criminal background check.
- Bring your Handgun Dealer License Application Number
- All fingerprints must be INK prints. Electronic fingerprinting is not available for this process yet.
- If your business is in a different county than your home, DO NOT go to the sheriff in your business county. Go to your HOME COUNTY sheriff.
The sheriff must:
- electronically transmit your application for processing, and
- physically mail your fingerprint card to the Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing Unit.
If your application is approved, your permit will be sent to you via U.S. Mail.
If your application is rejected, you will be notified via U.S. Mail and will receive instructions on how to file an appeal.