Close Menu

Main Content

Utility Codes, Policy, and Manual

Utility Accommodation Policy (UAP) (Revised 6/1/19)
INDOT Utility Coordination and Design Manual  (UCD)​

Utility Coordination Training and Certification

Utility coordination on INDOT contracts is required to be performed by a certified utility coordinator. INDOT will be offering the INDOT Utility Coordination Certification Test on December 2nd, 2020 electronically via INDOT University. There will be a short set on instructions provided via email and the exam will begin promptly at 9:00am. 

If you have already registered to take the exam, you do not need to do anything at this time. An email will be sent soon that will provide all information needed to take the exam. 

Please email utilitysupport@indot.in.gov for registration and/or questions. Confirmation with more detail will be sent out prior to the test date. 

This test will be made available to individuals who meet the following criteria:

  1. Hold a B.S. in civil engineering or related field, have a minimum of 1 year of experience in the transportation or utility industries; or,
  2. Possess a minimum of 2 years of experience in the transportation or utility industries, at least 1 year of experience with utility coordination. Required years of experience can overlap.

To be provided a Utility Certification, you must score at least a 75% on the certification test. INDOT will send a letter shortly after the test notifying you of the results.

Utility Coordination Training and Certification Training Material:

INDOT Utilities and Railroad Division now has a Certified Utility Coordinator INDOT University training course. To be enrolled in the class or for more information, please email Travis Helwig. We encourage the use of this course in studying for the next Utility Certification Exam.


Current Certified Utility Coordinators

Certification_Certified Utility Coordinators 7-14-20

Please email utilitysupport@indot.in.gov to update Certified Utility Coordinator information

Authorized Utility Representative

Title 105, Article 13, Rule 3, Section 1(a) of the Indiana Administrative Code requires Utility Companies to submit authorized representative information to INDOT for use during coordination for highway improvement projects. Use the form below to submit new representative information or to change your existing representative information. 

For a utility company that is privately or cooperatively owned, please provide an official name under which your company does business. If your company is already registered with the Indiana Secretary of State please include the Business ID. You can find the business ID on the Secretary of State website. For utility companies that are owned by a municipality, please enter your utility company name in a format similar to one of these two entries, substituting the name of your municipality appropriately "Indianapolis, City of" or "Speedway, Town of". If your utility owns two different types of facilities (example – gas and electric) you will need to enter data and submit for each type of facility. 

To submit or change a Utility Company's Authorized Representative Information please click on the link below and fill out the form with the required information. 

Current Authorized Utility Representative List

Update Authorized Utility Representative List

Warning: The utility contact information is not intended for use by the general public. Do not use this information to contact utilities about customer service problems or for billing questions or payments. The public should contact utilities using information provided on their customer service bill or published customer service numbers.

Do not use the utility contact information as a substitute for underground utility locator services. By Indiana law, you must contact each utility at least two full working days before you start to dig. If you plan to dig, contact indiana811. Indiana811 is the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service.

Update the Current Authorized Utility Representative List

Buy America 


The Utility Tracking Application (UTA) can be obtained via the INDOT Technical Application Pathway (ITAP).

Standard Utility Documents are located in the UTA “Template Library” or provided by the Utility Coordinator.

Contact Information

Michael B. Jett
Utilities and Railroad Director
100 N. Senate Ave. IGCN 642
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Office: 317-232-5081

News and FAQs

INDOT Events

Click here to view more events

Top FAQs