The HOME Investment Partnerships Program Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (“TBRA”) is a rental subsidy that can be used to help income qualified households pay for housing costs including rent, security deposits, and utility deposits.
An August 2018 report published by the Prison Policy Initiative shows that people who have been incarcerated experience homelessness at a rate almost seven times higher than the general population. In IHCDA’s experience of working with re-entry programs, these programs have increased housing stability and decreased recidivism when they are coupled with a good partnership between courts, supportive services, and housing. Therefore, IHCDA has designed its HOME TBRA program to exclusively serve income-eligible households in which at least one member was formerly incarcerated. For the purpose of this program, formerly incarcerated is defined as (1) persons exiting the corrections system with a preference for persons currently exiting and at risk of homelessness due to a lack of stable housing or (2) individuals currently experiencing homelessness who were formerly incarcerated.
The amount of TBRA subsidy varies per household, and is based upon the income of the household, the rent requested by the landlord for the unit the household selects, and a rent reasonableness standard. TBRA assistance moves with the tenant: if the household no longer wishes to rent a particular unit, the household may move to another rental property and apply the TBRA award to the new unit, given that the term of the TBRA has not expired.
The HOME Tenant-Based Rental Assistance program differs from IHCDA’s HOME Rental Housing program. Whereas the HOME rental housing program provides capital funding for non-profit housing developers to build or preserve affordable housing, the TBRA program provides funding to non-profit organizations to provide rental assistance to participating households. TBRA program funds cannot be used as capital funds.
Current Award Recipients and Program Coverage Area:
- 2020 Board Memo - updated March 8, 2021
- 2019 Board Memo - updated March 8, 2021
- HOME TBRA Program Coverage Areas - updated March 8, 2021
Program Manual and Forms
- 2020 HOME TBRA Administration Manual - Updated June 15, 2020
- Leasing Documents
- Example Inspection Notification Letter
- Income Calculation and Certification
- Rent Reasonableness User Manual
- Budget Template
- HOME TBRA Monthly Report - IDIS - updated March 10, 2021
- Additional Compliance Forms (Federal Programs)
COVID-19 Waiver Guidance and Forms
- Suspensions and Waivers to Facilitate Use of HOME-Assisted TBRA (April 10, 2020) and Revision and Extension of April 10, 2020, Tenant-Based Rental Assistance Memorandum - updated March 8, 2021
- IHCDA Notification of HOME TBRA Waivers (April 10, 2020)*
- Exhibit A COVID-19 Income Self Certification Form
- Exhibit B COVID-19 Owner HQS Self Certification
- Exhibit C COVID-19 Owner Notification of Life-Threatening HQS Violation
- Exhibit D COVID-19 Owner Notification of NLT HQS Violation