In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, IHCDA and the Balance of State Continuum of Care board would like to communicate guidance, resources, and assistance available to those in the BoS CoC. Below you will find the updates from both IHCDA and the CoC BoS board. Below you will find a list of state and federal resources as well as best practices from other CoCs and cities.
Finally, we have set up weekly calls for sub-groups who are connected to either the CoC or the IHCDA Community Services division. Those are listed below and are intended to help with ongoing communication and to elevate and work through challenges. You may also reply all to this email with ongoing questions/communications.
Regional Updates Form: We ask that each region complete the below form weekly with updates on the status of organizations within their region. We want to know which organizations are continue to serve, what changes have been made, and who are closed. The goal is to ensure each region has the capacity to serve those impacted by the virus and the public is aware of resources that are still available, and how, in their area.
- Click here to access the Update Form
- Status of Homeless Organizations Report - updated April 16, 2020
HMIS Updates: In order to best serve clients, we have updated the HMIS Client Track system to allow organizations to track individuals who are affected by COVID-19 and/or are using isolation shelters. Please review and work accordingly with our HMIS team on next steps for your region.
Please click here to access additional COVID-19 resources and guidance (updated June 26, 2020)
CoC BoS Updates
The CoC BoS board recommends that homeless service providers follow the guidance from the CDC and Indiana State Department of Health. This includes thinking through quarantine shelters and offering motel/hotel stays to those affected by coronavirus. In addition, organizations should think through engaging community partners, creating an emergency response plan, updating key contacts, and preparing your organizations in the following ways:
- General guidance:
- Click here to access a variety of state and federal resources. Click here to access guidance from CSH. We encourage you to utilize these tools and implement best practices in your community.
- Work with local officials (i.e. health departments, city/county government, hospital/medical facilities).
- Work within your region and city/county to coordinate care (i.e. one quarantined shelter). Continue to conduct regional meetings but do so remotely.
- For those not teleworking: Set up sanitizing stations and signs around symptoms for COVID-19; practice social distancing; create policies/procedures for what to do if someone has symptoms (either organization’s staff or clients).
- Guidance for case management and in person services:
- Attempt to do over the phone or virtually if possible.
- If a case manager is sick, try not to allow them to meet with individuals.
- Use gloves or remote pick up options for food/clothing services.
- Guidance for shelters:
- Move beds to 6 feet apart if possible. Individuals should sleep head to foot.
- Find spaces to quarantine individuals who have symptoms.
- Work with other organizations (i.e. clinics) to screen individuals and assist with care.
- COC RRH/PSH Clients:
- Continue case management but attempt to do so over the phone or web.
- Encourage residents to self-isolate and reduce contact with others during this time.
- Prepare residents with up to date information and communication around COVID-19.
- Overall updates:
- IHCDA staff is currently out of office, teleworking, but at 100% capacity.
- The staff will take all calls/meetings remotely via conference call or webinar.
- IHCDA technical assistance:
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, IHCDA's Community Services’ team has conducted a series of weekly calls:
- CoC recipients, HOPWA, TANF and ESG recipients: Thursdays at 1:45pm via Go to Webinar
- CoC Board: Wednesdays at 12:15 pm via Go to Webinar
- HMIS: Tuesdays at 12:00 pm (Noon) via Go to Webinar
- CE Coordinators & Regional Chairs: Thursdays at 12:15 pm via Go to Webinar
For more information, or to request to join one of these calls, please contact: Communityservices@ihcda.in.gov.
- Grants (CoC/HOPWA/TANF/ESG) Updates:
- IHCDA can be flexible and lenient during this time but we ask that you keep our program staff updated if the outbreak will affect submission of claims, working with tenants, etc.
- Even with this changes, sub-recipients should still plan to submit claims, reports, etc. to IHCDA as planned.
- Until further notice, all grant monitoring will be completed as desktop reviews (files sent to IHCDA).
- HMIS Updates:
- Remote work is allowed for HMIS data submissions (Click here for guidance).
- New user webinars and open office hours will still occur as planned via webinar.
- Updates will be provided to site administrators and the newsfeed as procedures are revisited.
- Until further notice, all HMIS trainings will be held online or on a conference call.