Language Translation
  Close Menu

How to Obtain a New RCRA ID Number

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires anyone who handles hazardous waste to notify IDEM (as authorized by U.S. EPA) of their regulated waste activities, by applying for and receiving a RCRA identification number. A handler is a generator, transfer facility, and/or a treatment, storage, or disposal facility. IDEM no longer uses the Hazardous Waste Handle Identification Form (formerly State Form 55770). Instead, U.S. EPA has an online tool called myRCRAid, a module of the RCRAInfo Industry Application, which allows you to obtain and update your site’s permanent federal U.S. EPA ID number. You can also request access to the electronic manifest (e-Manifest) system module of RCRAInfo to view, enter, and/or sign e-Manifests at the same link you register and access myRCRAid.


U.S. EPA has produced a free online training resource (Learning Zen) with instructions on how to register as an industry user and how to complete the Notification of Regulated Waste Activity form. We strongly recommend primary site contacts complete the Site Manager training module.

IDEM has provided step-by-step instructions for filling out your form. We strongly suggest you open or print these files when using myRCRAid, especially the first time. You must register as an industry user in myRCRAid before completing an initial notification or updating an existing U.S. EPA ID number.

Detailed instructions regarding regulated waste notifications may be found online:

Generator Category

You must determine which generator classification is correct for your installation. Please see 40 CFR 262.13 to determine if your facility is a very small quantity generator (VSQG), small quantity generator (SQG), or large quantity generator (LQG). If you notify as a "Generator greater than 1000 kg/mo (2200 lbs)" you are a LQG and are subject to all applicable regulations under Subtitle C of RCRA including the Biennial Report. You are also subject to annual Generator fees under Indiana statue IC 13-22-12-3.

If you notify as a "Generator 100 to 1000 kg/mo (220-2200 lbs)" you are a SQG and are subject to IC 13-22-4-3.1 which requires you to submit an annual report summarizing your hazardous waste shipments for each year.

Location Changes

The RCRA ID number is site-specific. If your installation changes locations, a new notification is required and you will receive a new ID number. You may not use your old ID number for your new location.

Other Changes

If your installation changes generator categories, mailing address, contact person, etc. or if it stops handling hazardous waste or goes out of business you should enter a subsequent notification into myRCRAid. If your installation changes ownership, a subsequent notification must be entered into myRCRAid before the new owner uses the ID number.

Reference Lists

You may view or download the following documents to assist in filling out the myRCRAid registration.