Mission Vision and 2025 Priority Areas
An Indiana where all are free from tobacco addiction and exposure to commercial tobacco products. *
Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation seeks to achieve health equity by eliminating the disease and economic burden associated with tobacco addiction and exposure to commercial tobacco products.
We recognize that all Hoosiers are affected differently across racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups, and these disparities must be addressed.
The work of Indiana’s network of partners in Tobacco Prevention and Cessation is grounded in science as supported by the following values:
- Transparency – We are committed to honest and open communication.
- Diversity and Inclusion – We embrace the uniqueness of each person, seek fairness and justice for all, and welcome multiple perspectives in our work.
- Partnership and Collaboration – We can only accomplish our goals through strong partnerships and collaborative strategies.
- Empathy – We have compassion for those suffering from tobacco addiction and exposure to commercial tobacco products.
As a program within the Indiana Department of Health, Indiana’s tobacco control plan adheres to the values of the agency:
- Health Equity – We place equity at the center of our work to ensure every Hoosier, regardless of individual characteristics historically linked to discrimination or exclusion, has access to social and physical supports needed to promote health from birth through end of life.
- Communication – We provide stakeholders and the public accurate and up-to-date scientific data and provide education.
- Innovation – We continue to learn, research evidence-informed practices, advance our services, and be open to new methods, ideas, and products that help build and expand upon the services we provide.
- Integrity – We are honest, trustworthy, and transparent. We uphold our standards and do the right things to achieve the best public health and safety outcomes.
2025 Priority Areas
- Decrease tobacco use rates among Indiana youth and young adults
- Increase the proportion of Hoosiers not exposed to secondhand smoke
- Decrease Indiana adult smoking rates
- Maintain state and local infrastructure necessary to achieve health equity by eliminating tobacco addiction and exposure to commercial tobacco products.
2025 Tobacco Control Strategic Plan
*Commercial tobacco is manufactured by companies for recreational and habitual use in cigarettes, e-cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, pipe tobacco, cigars, hookahs, and other products.