Health Systems Change Partnerships
These partnerships will help build the capacity of Indiana health systems to impact tobacco use, specifically supporting the integration of tobacco dependence treatment. This opportunity allows for organizations to implement systems change initiatives - sustainable, integrated solutions at the organizational level that support clinicians and health systems to address tobacco use consistently and effectively - and provide technical assistance/services targeting the following focus areas:
- Implementing Best Practices for Tobacco Dependence Treatment - Care Coordination
- Quality Improvement
- Utilization of Electronic Health Record (EHR) System.
According to the U.S. Public Health Service Clinical Practice Guideline, Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update, systems change leads to improvements or modifications in the way health care systems operate to enhance or improve clinician interventions and to integrate tobacco into health care delivery using various strategies. Services may include:
- Developing processes to ensure that tobacco dependence treatment, and its documentation, is fully integrated into care and sustained over time
- Implementing quality improvement processes to enable integration of tobacco dependence treatment best practices into routine care
- Demonstrating meaningful use of the EHR system.
Opportunity exists within the healthcare sector to explore and implement these strategies. These partnerships are expected to lay the foundation for future systems change efforts and build support and knowledge focused on systems change and quality improvement in Indiana. TPC’s vision is to replicate and share lessons learned to continue informing our work and build capacity within health systems to consistently offer best practices in treating tobacco use and dependence.
See a list of the Health Systems Change partnerships among other statewide partnerships.
Indiana Tobacco Quitline Services
The Indiana Tobacco Quitline is a telephone-based cessation service designed to help all Indiana tobacco users.
The Indiana Tobacco Quitline assists:
- Tobacco users, in any stage of readiness, to quit
- Pregnant smokers
- Smokeless tobacco users
- Former smokers who want relapse prevention support
- Friends and relatives of tobacco users who want to offer support
If you need information about pharmacotherapy interactions and contraindications, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) dosages, etc., visit QuitNowIndiana.com or call the Quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW for free information.
When your patient calls the Quitline, a trained Quit Coach will provide:
- An assessment of readiness to quit
- A customized quit plan
- Motivation and problem-solving advice
- Up-to-date information about nicotine replacement therapy
- A Quit Kit, including materials in English or Spanish, tailored for your patient's needs
- Referral to cessation services offered by local resources or by health plans
Quitline staff is skilled in working with people who use all forms of tobacco products, including smokeless tobacco, pipes, cigars, and e-cigarettes.
Questions? Visit QuitNowIndiana.com/providers for more information.