Do you or does someone you know have a problem with gambling?
For a confidential referral, call 800-994-8448 or click the button below to live chat now.
The Indiana Problem Gambling Referral Line is funded by the Indiana Problem Gamblers' Assistance Fund.
What is problem gambling?
Problem gambling is gambling behavior which causes disruptions in any major area of life: psychological, physical, social or vocational. The term "problem gambling" includes, but is not limited to, the condition known as pathological, or "compulsive" gambling, a progressive addiction characterized by increasing preoccupation with gambling, a need to bet more money more frequently, restlessness or irritability when attempting to stop, "chasing" losses, and loss of control manifested by continuation of the gambling behavior in spite of mounting, serious, negative consequences.
Could gambling be the problem?
- Have you ever felt the need to bet more and more money?
- Have you ever had to lie to people important to you about how much you gamble?
A "yes" answer to either or both of these questions may indicate a problem with gambling.
Reference: Johnson, E.E., Hamer, R., Nora, R.M., Tan, B. Eistenstein, N., & Englehart, C. (1988). The lie/bet questionnaire for screening pathological gamblers. Psychological Reports, 80,83-88.
Indiana problem gambling treatment resource network manual http://www.ipgap.indiana.edu/
Gambling treatment providers
For a list of problem gambling treatment providers in your area, click here.
- Indiana problem gambling awareness program http://www.ipgap.indiana.edu/
- Indiana Council on Problem Gambling, Inc. http://www.indianaproblemgambling.org/
- Gamblers Anonymous Meetings in Indiana http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/
- GAMANON Meetings in Indiana https://www.gam-anon.org/
- National Council on Problem Gambling http://www.ncpgambling.org/
- National Problem Gambling Awareness Week http://www.npgaw.org/
- The voluntary exclusion program http://www.in.gov/igc/2331.htm
- Addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors in substance abuse treatment
- SAMHSA Advisory Committee for Women's Services - Problem gambling issues
Gambling within forensic populations
Program Director - Gambling Treatment, Co-occurring Disorders & Forensic Projects
Division of Mental Health & Addiction
Indiana Family & Social Services Administration
402 W. Washington St., Room W353
Indianapolis, IN 46204