File For Unemployment
Filing for Unemployment is As Easy As 1... 2... 3...
Step 1 - APPLY: File for Unemployment Insurance
File an initial application for benefits as soon as you become unemployed.
You will need the following information when filing:
- A valid email account – your email address will become your Uplink Username.
- Driver’s license or valid ID, address, Social Security number, date of birth and phone number.
- Last employer’s name, mailing address, phone number, dates of employment and reason you are unemployed.
- Bank routing number and account number if choosing direct deposit as your payment option (NOTE: Key2Benefits prepaid MasterCard® is also available).
Important security changes coming for payment elections. Para obtener ayuda en español llame al 1-800-891-6499.
Beginning August 3, claimants will be directed to login to their ID.me account and complete the multi-factor authentication before making an initial payment election or updating an existing payment election. You should have already created an ID.me account and verified your identity when you filed your unemployment claim. If not, you will be prompted to do so when you click the “verify with ID.me” button. If you need assistance, please visit DWD's ID.me page.
Step 2 - VOUCHERS: File your Weekly Vouchers
You must file a voucher WEEKLY through the online filing system (called Uplink). Submit your weekly voucher the week following your initial application and each week thereafter.
- Benefits are paid weekly.
- The week runs from Sunday, 12:00 a.m. to Saturday, 8:59 p.m. Eastern time.
- Vouchers cover the previous week and may be filed starting on Sunday. Please NOTE: Sunday and Monday are the highest filing days so the Uplink system might be slow. File later in the week for a better filing experience.
- You should file a weekly voucher even if you have an issue delaying your benefits or are appealing a decision. When a determination is made all eligible payments will be released.
- Remember to report any income earned during the week a voucher is filed. Otherwise, you will be subject to a possible fraud prosecution.
- Complete and keep a weekly written record of your Work Search activity.
- Three Simple Steps Each Week | Spanish Version.
Step 3 - AFTER FILING: What to expect after you file
Within 10 business days of filing, you will receive a Monetary Determination of Eligibility form.
- This does not mean you qualify for unemployment insurance.
- Instead, it is a statement providing a possible weekly benefit amount and an overall maximum benefit amount should you be eligible.
- The maximum length of benefits is typically 26 weeks, but you may be eligible for additional weeks through the federal pandemic programs. See the COVID frequently asked questions for more info .
- Avoiding Problems With Your UI Claim.
Eligibility should be determined within 21 business days of filing if there are no issues with your claim.
If there are issues on your claim, a DWD Claims Investigator will review those and contact you or your employer if additional information is needed. This could take longer than 21 days.
We encourage you to check your claimant homepage on Uplink daily throughout this time. All information will be posted there.