The Indiana HSE (High School Equivalency) is an alternative for earning a high school diploma. Your HSE Diploma can be earned after completing a test based on five subject areas (math, reading, writing, science and social studies). The skills you are taught and eventually tested on are at the same level as those of graduating high school seniors.
Education plays an important role in life by improving your knowledge and preparing you to get a better job. Workers who have a high school diploma earn over $8,000 more per year than those who do not. Taking the HSE test is your first step to moving forward. Whether your goal is to get a better job or continue on your educational pathway to a certificate, 2-year associate degree or 4-year bachelor’s degree, this is where your second chance starts.
Download the Indiana HSE Brochure.
Download the Superintendent Recommendation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can take the HSE?
- Anyone living in Indiana for a minimum of 30 days before taking the test.
- Those who have not already earned a diploma from an accredited high school in the United States.
- Students who are at least 16 years of age.
How do I sign up?
- In-person at a testing office. Bring ONE government-issued photo ID.
- Find the testing office nearest you at indiana.tasctest.com.
How do I prepare?
- Enroll in an Adult Education program, which provides free classes to adults who have not earned a high school diploma or those who need some help preparing to be College and Career Ready.
- Enrollees can also participate in WorkINdiana and earn an industry-recognized credential while studying for their HSE.
Free HSE Testing for HIP Plus Members
DWD has partnered with Anthem BlueCross BlueShield to provide HIP Plus members with free vouchers that cover the cost of the Indiana HSE test. We encourage you to make an appointment with your local testing center within the next 30 days or sooner. Bring the voucher to your local testing center. You can find a testing center in your area by visiting Indiana.tasctest.com or by calling Anthem Member Services at 1-866-408-6131 (TTY 711). When you go to the testing center you should bring:
- The HSE voucher
- Valid proof of ID, such as valid driver’s license, valid passport, military IDs, or another form of government-issued (national or foreign) ID that shows name, address, date of birth, signature and photograph.
- If ID does not list your address, bring proof of residency. Examples include a utility bill, rental agreement, piece of mail or other similar form of proof that show you have lived in Indiana for at least 30 days.
The testing center will then enter a voucher code upon registration and Anthem Blue Cross BlueShield HIP Plus will cover all test costs.
Copies of Transcript or Diploma
Diploma Sender can assist in attaining copies of your transcript or diploma.
If you have any questions regarding the Indiana HSE, please call 1-866-220-6675 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.