- Must be an Indiana resident.
- The veteran must have an honorable, under honorable conditions, or certain other than honorable discharge codes.
- The applicant must prove genuine financial hardship. Financial hardship must be reflected in applicants income, spending habits, or emergency condition.
- The household income cannot exceed 2 times the US federal poverty guidelines. Check here to see the current Poverty Guidelines.
- There is a lifetime limit of $2,500.00 of assistance available to each veteran. Under some emergency circumstances requests for amounts more than the lifetime limit, the Indiana Veterans' Commission may review and decide to award an applicant additional money.
- The department may close out an incomplete application if all required documentation is not received with thirty (30) days of initial submission.