Military Family Relief Fund
The MFRF emergency grant may be used by the families for needs such as food, housing, utilities, medical services, transportation and other essential family support expenses which have become difficult to afford. A grant up to $2,500 may be awarded.
Documents included in the application:
- MFRF Application (both pages)
- Budget Worksheet
- W-9 Form (Handwritten signatured required)
- Authorization Form
Documents required from veteran:
- Statement letter signed by the veteran (explaining situation and how the military contributed to their current hardship)
- Current bills, invoices, estimates, etc.
- Last month bank statements
- Evidence of income (pay stubs, VA compensation, SSA, retirement, cash assistance, unemployment, etc.)
- Prior Year W2's
- Most recent tax return 1040 form
- Evidence of assets
- Indiana Resident
- Time in Service (12 months of qualifying service)
- Discharge Type (Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions)
- Serving or served during a War Time or National Conflict
- Federal gross income cannot exceed two (2) times the U.S Federal Poverty Guideline
- The hardship incurred by the applicant must be a reasonable and logical consequence of the applicant’s service in the Armed Forces or the National Guard
- Directly impacts the applicant's most central and basic living needs
- A lifetime maximum of $2,500 in total assistance from the grant
- The department may deny an incomplete application if all required documentation is NOT received within thirty (30) days of the first submission
- Veteran may appeal any decision to the VA Commission
- Medical expenses
- Basic transportation
- Education & employment assistance
- Other essential family support expenses
- Any other items will be considered on a case by case basis
- Personal debts and loans to include, but not limited for credit cards, payday loans, student loans, loans from family & friends, etc.
- Phone, internet and cable bill
- Reimbursement of expenses already paid
- Legal expenses and court costs to include, but not limited for attorney retainer & fees, tickets, child support, income taxes, etc.
- Non-essential day-to-day living expenses
To learn more about the regulations and requirements, please click the following link to be redirected: MFRF Rules. For further documentation and information regarding the enanctment of State rules and regulations, please review the IDVA's Rule Making Docket.
To apply: Applicants must fill out the MFRF packet below. The applicant must sign and date the application and provide all required proof and documentation.
- DOWNLOAD MFRF PACKET (pdf)(Fillable) - updated June 6, 2019
- PLEASE ENSURE ALL SIGNATURE AREAS ARE SIGNED PRIOR TO APPLICATION SUBMISSION
Please submit completed MFRF Packets to:
Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs
Attn: Military Family Relief Fund
302 W. Washington St. Room E-120
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Applications and documentation may also be faxed to 317-232-7721. If you are unsure your fax was received please call before sending duplicate faxes.
For more information, please contact one of the MFRF Staff.
Inquiries may also be made via email to email@example.com
Current MFRF Staff:
Beginning on January 2, 2007, the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA) began accepting grant applications from the families of deployed or recently deployed Indiana National Guard members and members of the Selected Reserves. Effective July 1, 2017, the Military Family Relief Fund became available to all veterans that served on active duty during a national conflict or war time period.