Did you make a mistake on your tax return? Don’t worry you can file an amended return with the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Amended Indiana state returns can be filed up to three years after the original due date or the date the tax was paid—whichever is later.
When you don’t need to file an amended return
- You don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors. They will be corrected automatically.
- You don’t need to file an amended return if certain tax forms were not attached (W-2s, unless you are reporting additional income; schedules) as DOR will contact you if more information is needed.
When you do need to file an amended return
- You had a change in filing status.
- You recorded an incorrect income amount.
- Deductions or credits claimed are not correct.
Both state and federal forms may need to be filed including
- First, file Federal Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return for Filing an Amended (Corrected) Tax Return, with the IRS.
- Second, amend your state return with DOR (see table below for further instruction).
- If an original state tax return has not been filed but an amended federal return has been filed, state form IT-40 or IT-40 PNR should be filed.
|Tax Years 2020 and prior|
|Tax Years 2021 and forward|
When there are changes to your income, exemptions, or credits, filing an amended return may result in a refund or tax due.
- Attach other forms with changes: any other forms or schedules should be included with the IT-40X or 1040X form.
- Wait for your refund from the latest tax year before filing: Individuals who are due refunds from the original tax return filed for that tax year should wait to file an amended return to claim any additional refunds.
- Pay additional tax as soon as possible: If the amended return shows more tax owed, individuals should pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid additional penalties and interest. Electronic payments for Indiana tax filings are accepted through INTIME, or a payment plan can be set up with INTIME. See information on payments and payment plans for federal filing.