The Indiana Academic Standards for Grades K-12 Science are based on A Framework for K-12 Science Education (NRC, 2012) and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS Lead States, 2013). The following conceptual shifts reflect what is new about these science standards. The K-12 Science Indiana Academic Standards:
- Reflect science as it is practiced and experienced in the real world;
- Build logically from kindergarten through grade 12;
- Focus on deeper understanding as well as application of content; and
- Integrate practices, crosscutting concepts, and core ideas.
The K-12 Science Indiana Academic Standards outline the knowledge, science, and engineering practices that all students should learn by the end of high school. The standards are three-dimensional because each student performance expectation engages students at the nexus of the following three dimensions:
- Dimension 1 describes scientific and engineering practices.
- Dimension 2 describes crosscutting concepts, overarching science concepts that apply across science disciplines.
- Dimension 3 describes core ideas in the science disciplines.
The Indiana Academic Standards for Grades K-8 Computer Science, based on the K-12 Computer Science Framework and Computer Science Teachers Association K-12 Computer Science Standards (2017), are meant to reflect a future-focused vision for computer science education. The Indiana Academic Standards for Grades K-8 Computer Science:
- Build logically from kindergarten through grade eight;
- Integrate core student practices;
- Reflect the growing range of fields within computer science; and
- Focus on computer science as a collaborative endeavor.
|Prioritized Indiana Academic Standards for Science and Computer Science|
|Grades K-2 Computer Science|
|Grades 3-5 Computer Science|
|Grades 6-8 Computer Science|
|Earth and Space Science|
|Integrated Chemistry & Physics|
|Indiana Academic Standards for Elective Science Courses|
|Anatomy and Physiology|
|2023 Science and Computer Science Standards Vertical Articulations|
|The vertical articulation documents illustrate the significant connections between the standards across grade levels. Administrators and teachers are strongly encouraged to use these documents to facilitate cross-grade level discussions.|
|Science and Engineering Practices|
|Disciplinary Core Ideas|
|Computer Science Vertical Articulations|
|2022 Science and Computer Science Standards Resources|
|Documents to support the implementation of the Indiana Academic Standards for Science and Computer Science are listed here. Additional resources will be posted as they become available.|
|Building Background Knowledge about the 2022 Science Indiana Academic Standards|
|Resources to Teach 2022 Science Indiana Academic Standards|
|Continue Learning with 2022 Science Indiana Academic Standards|
|Building Administrator Science Implementation Toolkit|
|District Administrator Science Implementation Toolkit|
|2022 K-8 Computer Science Frameworks|
|2023 K-8 Computer Science Frameworks (Coming Soon)|
|2022 K-12 Science Frameworks|
|2023 K-12 Science Frameworks (Coming Soon)|