An official website of the Indiana State Government
Guiding Principles for Literacy
- Literacy propels independent thinking, reading, writing, speaking, listening, and new literacies.
- Standards-based and disciplinary literacy instruction accelerate student gains.
- Literacy is a fundamental part of instruction in all disciplines.
- Evidence-based instructional approaches transform an emergent reader into a skilled reader and lifelong learner.
- Administrators and school leaders are change agents with the power to create and support a culture of literacy.
- Teachers as adaptive experts have the most impact on student learning.
- Family and community members are essential partners in promoting a culture of literacy.